N.Y.P.D. Fury

polarus

Reaction score
Spotted at the Vernon CT. Mopar show. Polara Hood johnnies service 013.jpgPolara Hood johnnies service 015.jpgPolara Hood johnnies service 012.jpg

Polara Hood johnnies service 013.jpg

Polara Hood johnnies service 015.jpg

Polara Hood johnnies service 012.jpg

That does look good!

Is that an original NYPD car?
I coulden't tell for sure, I had no access to the V.I.N. or data plate and the owner was not around. Original equipment lights radio etc. Very nice restoration, I hope it will be there next year.

That is cool looking! Here's a pic of a Fury Police car. I would like have a restored one just like it. I wonder if you would get pulled over if you just drove the car around town?

image.jpg

No law against red lights if you don't operate them. And you have no blue lights at all. The decal on the door may piss off a rookie deputy sheriff.
Plus no one's going to mistake that for a Crown Vic in their mirror.

Last edited:
That is cool looking! Here's a pic of a Fury Police car. I would like have a restored one just like it. I wonder if you would get pulled over if you just drove the car around town?

The laws differ from state to state but here in California ALL emergency lights must be covered, "NOT IN SERVCE" signs on both sides (in rear window) and identification covered up. Now, I roll regularly with a friend with his restored 69 CHP Polara and we do not cover up the doors although it is required and we have had no problems even the Chippies smile and wave.

As for people not thinking it is something to worry about, lets just say some people just will not pass even though they came up on us at a high rate of speed, others blow by us like didn't exist.

Damn! That is super nice!!!

As for people not thinking it is something to worry about, lets just say some people just will not pass even though they came up on us at a high rate of speed, others blow by us like didn't exist.

When my dad had his 1971 polara 4 door sedan, it had a C B antenna on the trunk lid, a fire department plaque on the front and a blue light on the dash. I cant tell you how many times on that CB that there was a smokey in a plain brown wrapper heading in a certain direction when we were in Ohio and Indiana.

I read years ago that NYPD ordered their police vehicles in the 1960s with 6-cylinder engines for fuel economy reasons. Apparently the thinking was they were never used for high-speed pursuit in NYC and a bigger engine wasn't required. Can anyone confirm that?

No law against red lights if you don't operate them. And you have no blue lights at all. The decal on the door may piss off a rookie deputy sheriff.
Plus no one's going to mistake that for a Crown Vic in their mirror.

Laws here (New York State) are different. No red lights facing forward and blue lights are OK only for a volunteer fireman's personal car.

When NYS Trooper had blue and yellow cars and they started showing up in surplus auctions, they very quickly passed a law that those cars must be repainted before being registered. Seems a few too many blue and yellow ex trooper cars hit the streets and caused some confusion.

I read years ago that NYPD ordered their police vehicles in the 1960s with 6-cylinder engines for fuel economy reasons. Apparently the thinking was they were never used for high-speed pursuit in NYC and a bigger engine wasn't required. Can anyone confirm that?

Yes, some metropolitan police forces bought sixes for urban patrol...same concept as the purpose built Camaro/ Mustang highway pursuits, they were built/ used for a particular purpose.

No such thing as a V8 Boston Police car until the six was finally no longer available.

One of my Uncles buddies did up the Ghost Buster Hurst up here in Manitoba Canada and got in **** by the cops because the lights and sirens worked. I'm not to sure on what the laws state exactly but he was told to disable the lights.

He made it for car shows only :)

The Police cars were available in two packages - the Pursuit Package and the Patrol Package. The Patrol engine options were a 225 or a 318, while the Pursuit Package could be had with a 383 or a 440; this in B- and C-body cops. A-body cops were rare, and were exclusively Patrol Package cars. This, being the early '60s through the late '70s. It changed in the '80s with the F- and M-body cops, which could have had 225, 318, or 360 engines; with the 360 making up the Pursuit Package.

So, yes, the 225 was likely the engine in many NYPD cars.

I read all this back in the days when people read books and magazines, pre-intewebz; so, no, I do not have a link.

To reiterate from another thread about cop cars, there is NO such thing as a "Police Interceptor" package in ANY car other than a Ford; as that is a trademarked name for a police car package built by Ford.

Oh, and sixtysix fury, a funeral car is a HEARSE, NOT a "hurst", which is a performance shifter.

Last edited:
Back