Name that girl

Age 60. Actor. Chicago girl.

Oh my. No wonder there's an old man in the mirror when I shave. Time flies.:)

I remember vividly when this "girl" exploded on the scene in a 1983 theatrical movie that took the world by storm. She was the star, but it would be said another lady (a non-credited stand-in) did the hardest, most physical parts of the role.

Maybe its subject matter was timed well, maybe her and the other folks in it had a "chemistry", all people young or old could relate to the story, maybe the music/soundtrack rocked (it did), etc.

Made for under $8M, that darn movie made over $200M in 1983 dollars at the WW box office. Thats about $650M in 2024 dollars. That's a pretty big head of lettuce, then or now. First when there's nothing .... then what a feeling.

She's worked steadily ever since. 40+ years of movies, TV, theater right up to today.

Below, a toddler (tough to get her from that) and then high school age, looking more like she does as an adult even now.

She's aging really well it seems, which kinda belies her senior citizen status.

1729769536443.png

Last edited:
Age 60. Actor. Chicago girl.

Oh my. No wonder there's an old man in the mirror when I shave. Time flies.:)

I remember vividly when this "girl" exploded on the scene in a 1983 theatrical movie that took the world by storm. She was the star, but it would be said another lady (a stand in) did the hardest, most-physical parts of the role.

Maybe its subject matter was timed well, maybe her and the other folks in it had a "chemistry", all people young or old could relate to the story, maybe the music/soundtrack rocked (it did), etc.

But that darn moviee made over $200M in 1983 dollars at the WW box office. Thats about $650M in 2024 dollars. That's pretty big, then or now. First when there's nothing .... then what a feeling.

She's worked stedily over since. 40+ years of movies, TV, theater right up to today.

Below, a toddler (tough to get her from that) and then high school age, looking more like she does as an adult. She's aging really well it seems, which kinda belies her near senior citizen status.

View attachment 688556
Got it

I got it by accident, if that counts. I was actually thinking of a different movie. I might be out from under the rock for now, but I'm probably blocking the doorway.
1729806757803.png

#2.121. Jennifer Beals

1729938402421.png

The 1983 movie she got her big break in was "Flashdonce". I was fresh out of college, working after the lean years as a student, and every girl I was seeing/trying to date anyway wanted to see this movie.

I balked. 'Chick flick". Mushy love story, blah, blah. I'd rather see Terminator', "Indiana Jones", "Risky Business", etc.,

But the music was great, it was a good story, and my dates were happy. I actually liked the movie, and still have the biggest songs on my playlistss even now, 40 years later.

Heck, my late 30's daughters, even today, still love Flashdance. My oldest still gets emotional when it appears Alex aced the big dance audition, with the stuffed shirts, at the end. Great scene.

Btw, the "real" dancer who did the hard stuff? French dancer, Marine Jahan, age 65 now .. and she still looks like she can dance.

1729938830192.png
Screenshot 2024-10-15 093908.jpg
1729939963570.png

1983 movie trailer, and the two most iconic songs.

And, unfortunately, we lost Irene Cara at age 63 almost two years ago. Talented lady.

Last edited:
Yea, I was right! She was who I was thinking of. She is in Eli as a blind woman. I forgot that she was also in Mandalorian, although for too short of a period.

1729979102967.png

Last edited:
Back