Need help identifying which brakes on a 1959 Dodge Coronet - 3 platform type brakes or standard brakes???

WikedPlymouth

Reaction score
I pulled a front and rear wheel and removed the drum on my 1959 Dodge Coronet. I was expecting it to be easy to identify but I'm just not positive. I think it's the 3 platform type brakes but wanted to confirm with the experts here. I'm also curious where the best place is to buy brake shoes. These are about the thinnest shoes I've ever seen. Thanks!!

Front drum brake and wheel cylinders.jpg

Rear drum brake and wheel cylinder.jpg

Yes those are the funky brakes they came with.

Best place? Take your shoes and drums to a brake reline shop and get some soft lining installed and have the shoes arced to the drums.

If nothing is close them mail the shoes to a reline shop and measure the drums and tell them what size you have.

Anything else will cause you trouble.

Those are the original duo servo brakes. I've never heard of them referred to as "platform." I agree 100% with 413, find a local clutch and brake service shop and take the drums and shoes to them, have the shoes re-arced and re-lined and maybe turn the drums if they need it. Don't forget wheel bearings too..

Thanks. In the manual and on RockAuto they list 2 different set of wheel cylinders based on 3 platform type brakes vs standard brakes. See picture from the FSM below. Based on those pictures from the FSM, I was thinking they were the 3 platform type brakes. Thanks!!

59brakesfront.jpg

59brakesrear.jpg

But there are 4 bolts on your front brake support and backing plate.. according to the pics of the manual the 3 platform has 5 bolts...? BUT they do look like the platform brake...

If those had ben riveted linings, they would have been changed a long time ago. Proving the 1959 dealer sales training films correct . . . "Lasts longer".

CBODY67

WikedPlymouth,
I have everything for you, if you would like.....
The correct *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes, the correct *** U.S.A. made *** Wheel Cylinders , Brake Hoses, *** U.S.A. made *** Wheel Bearings & Seals *** and a whole lot more....

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested...... Craig....

Last edited:
WikedPlymouth,
I have everything for you, if you would like.....
The correct *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes, the correct *** U.S.A. made *** Wheel Cylinders , Brake Hoses, *** U.S.A. made *** Wheel Bearings & Seals *** and a whole lot more....

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested...... Craig....
the US made, correct parts make ALL the difference........ and Craig is a great source to get these from - good luck.

I second Craig.
Great guy and HONEST too.
I believe that that brake style was know as the 'Floating Plane' brake.
Omni

Back