New guy here

It looks like Edelbrock makes a 4 barrel manifold and a carb for this 2 barrel engine. Stock, i see that would add 50 HP or so...pretty good. I'm sure that is high-RPM horsepower, though. Often, in GM cars at least, 2 barrels are more responsive in regular cruising.

Any feedback on whether changing is a good idea? I'm not going to hot rod this car, and all original does appeal to me. (It sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of it).
Thanks Fellas

somewhere is a chart, like moparts or mopar action or somewhere, showing a 2bbl v. 4bbl top on a 383. the 2bbl takes it but only like to 2k rpm then the 4bbl wins the rest of the way down the chart.

there is also an article where they tried all different intakes.

as one that put a reman 2bbl back on the stock iron intake with single snorkel to keep it all stock, im now looking at 4bbls.

imo you cant go wrong with an edelbrock 600-750 carb and rpm or 383 intake.

try not to die -

- saylor

I've got the engine and trans sorted out now, and it runs (and idles) well.

The exhaust was ugly and loud, so I took it to my old timer exhaust guy in the next town over. He's a one man shop and is backed up a week or so all the time.

Worth it though. It turned out that I had 2 1/2 duals through Flowmaster Series 40 series mufflers on it when I got it. It was loud, droned like crazy and stuck out like a sore thumb. He fixed it with the factory design 2- 1/4" tailpipes (per the service manual), and turbo mufflers.

Before:

After:

Is yours a fast car? Mine is stock and not very fast. I like the Series 40 sound if the car can back it up. Mine can't.
In a word: Yes. It is actually surprisingly close to my Challenger. It does help that it is a 4-speed car. The only things that I know have been done to the engine are exhaust, cam, carburetor (changing to a 4130s I rebuilt. 700 CFM is too much!), intake (back to stock) and some head work. I will be rebuilding a distributor with an Ignitor III for it too. Im fairly certain it has a sure grip as well. It does burnouts in every gear but fourth... (Don't tell Dad).
:steering:

In a word: Yes. It is actually surprisingly close to my Challenger. It does help that it is a 4-speed car. The only things that I know have been done to the engine are exhaust, cam, carburetor (changing to a 4130s I rebuilt. 700 CFM is too much!), intake (back to stock) and some head work. I will be rebuilding a distributor with an Ignitor III for it too. Im fairly certain it has a sure grip as well. It does burnouts in every gear but fourth... (Don't tell Dad).
:steering:
sounds like it has a non stock cam

New stuff:

I'm really pleased to see that almost all the interior lights work as they should. Thne right side speedo light seems to be out.

It could be worse!

Last edited:
Beautiful cars!! I'm a lil partial to Buicks myself. 3 generations of family retired from Buick. Great looking fury too!!

Back