New interior

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
I need pretty much a complete interior for a 1962 crown 4 door.

I found SMS and sounds like this is the place that can do it. After reading all the negative experiences I am a little gun shy and using them now. Anyone else out their that is dependable?

I have not kept up with SMS over the past years from when they "got discovered by many customers", but their "buying the competition" (of which they seemed to have little competition from other fabric producers) might have resulted from opportunities which presented themselves.

Such opportunities result when a company's owners/operators have been in the industry for decades, earning a good reputation with their customers, but like everybody else, reach a time in their lives where it is time to "do something else". So their operations are sold "to others in the industry" as a result. No hostile takeovers, just normal business taking place. AND we have observed this in many other areas, too, including rural real estate and the seat belt/air bag industries.

I've noticed customer dissatisfaction with SMS' long response times increasing over the past 20 years or so. They were not extremely responsive to start with. Then factor in the increased interest and expansion of their product lines (to include repro door panels (and all that might include!), I suspect the SMS organization was a bit under-staffed as it was, which only got worse with their increased level of people desiring to do business with them.

Then figure in our increase in technology as to communications and we have customers which expect "timely" communications and receive none, too. If WE can make an "instant communication with a company", we also expect the company to have at least the same level of communication capabilities, scaled-up of course.

It would be very easy for SMS or any other company to "scale up" their production and customer service operations. That does take money, which funds new production machinery for product output and more people to run the communications operations. THIS can be scary for many CEOs, as they don't desire the quality of their products to decrease OR have to outsource to other countries' employees. Many valid concerns, if thought about, BUT many which end up with $$$$ for funding basic operations plus related expansions of such.

I'm getting the impression that SMS could operate 28hrs/day for several years and just start to get caught up with their orders and such. From reading this and other forums over the past few years. If their business is that great, some investments might be in order, it seems. Although their quality might suffer in the process, it can be feared. There might be many forum posts about "how long it takes", but those might be better than forum posts of "I got my stuff from SMS and it was not up to par"? I suspect that most would desire the "time issue"!

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

The best approach with SMS is to get the materials from them and have your own trim shop do the work. Last year, I had good luck getting headliner and vinyl top material from them in a fairly timely manner. Maybe the interior materials you need can be obtained quickly too. . .;

The best approach with SMS is to get the materials from them and have your own trim shop do the work. Last year, I had good luck getting headliner and vinyl top material from them in a fairly timely manner. Maybe the interior materials you need can be obtained quickly too. . .;
Unfortunately not really any trim shops in my neck of the woods, at least nothing I can afford, LOL

I can understand the long lead times with SMS, what bothers me is it doesn't sound like they give out realistic lead times to the customer. Read alot of reviews where they are 6 months to a year later than originally promised, that really is not acceptable.

Read alot of reviews where they are 6 months to a year later than originally promised, that really is not acceptable.
A lot of folks have been waiting years for their interior parts from SMS.

Ordinarily, you could buy carpet and headliner from other sources, but I looked a little bit and can't find a molded carpet or a headliner. I did find a "cut and sown" carpet 1962-64 Chrysler Imperial 4 Dr Front and Rear Auto Carpet Kit I've never used that vendor, so I can't tell you anything about them.

I think the questions to ask is... How bad is the interior and what do you actually need? How close to original does it have to be?

Unfortunately not really any trim shops in my neck of the woods, at least nothing I can afford, LOL

I can understand the long lead times with SMS, what bothers me is it doesn't sound like they give out realistic lead times to the customer. Read alot of reviews where they are 6 months to a year later than originally promised, that really is not acceptable.
Unfortunately, you are in "The World of Mopar", things which fit the popular-restoration B and C-body cars tend to be more plentiful as there were many more of them built and they are "desired" and bring lots of money when correctly restored at the major auctions. Anything else? You learn to take what you can get, when you can get it. Not unlike an orphan brand of sorts. Imperial? Even worse, by observation. Just the way it goes, "acceptable" or not.

I also suspect that if a Cadillac or Lincoln was being done, things might be different due to the number of units they sold, by comparison.

You might look around in the Online Imperial Club website for other leads, perhaps in your neighborhood.

CBODY67

Back