New member introduction

All the best with it, the main thing will be to get it undercover whenever that's possible to prevent further deterioration. Then a thorough cleaning to reveal how bad she is, though she looks good (frame???) considering the 18 years of outdoor storage.

Chances are good that someone who knows about Polaras lives near to you and will be willing to take a look at her with you.
I hadn't looked at it much, even though it is literally across the street from me, but the carpet up front had been pulled back and the floor has surface rust but I beat on it and my hand didn't go through. So I'm guessing it's solid. The roof though is different. I'll take pictures of the rust tomorrow

Nice color combo! If you're not planning on moving it soon maybe jack it up and support it to get some air flowing underneath it.
GA4 Light Gunmetal Gray is one of my top 3 favorites, after the F5 Dark Green and FC7 Plum Crazy Purple

Welcome from NYC young man!! As mentioned earlier, great to see a young man interested in these Ol cars. Lots of great people and information on this side, look no further.. whatever you need 24/7 there's usually somebody on here that will respond quickly.. good luck with the car and your future endeavors.. keep us posted as to your progress and pictures as well.

View attachment 128312 Hi forum members. My name is Walter Joy. I am an 18 year old fresh out of high school and preparing for college, and as a graduation gift, I acquired a Polara. This car is a 1971 Dodge Polara Custom Sedan equipped with the A01 Turnpike package (even though that package was a 69-70 only), but with it it came with a 383 2bbl back d by a heavy duty Torqueflite 727 3 speed automatic and an 8 3/4 inch axle fitted with 2.76 gears. That's as much as I know on the car, as I pulled most of the information off the fender tag. What I do know is this car was purchased brand new by my great grandmother in 1971, and was originally garage kept until she passed and my uncle took ownership. Everything on the car is numbers matching and original. No repaints or reupholstered interior. I hope I am welcomed here and hope you guys can help me in finding parts, as 18 years in the elements of Maryland has taken a toll.

Hey! Welcome! That Dodge is gonna be a very nice car, once you massage it a little. And what do you get in a "Turnpike Package?"

I hadn't looked at it much, even though it is literally across the street from me, but the carpet up front had been pulled back and the floor has surface rust but I beat on it and my hand didn't go through. So I'm guessing it's solid. The roof though is different. I'll take pictures of the rust tomorrow
Make @polara71 your new BFF and learn from the resident expert on your car. He can even help you with that 6 Barrel setup.

2.45 gears, what's the top end with those? Might get some impressive mileage too.
I will probably have to double check on it, once I pull the tear end out. But whatever it does have will be replaced by at least 3.54s at the minimum.

Why do you want a 3.54 rear end ratio?
Something for more pep. I plan on making the car an autocross vehicle. I don't know too much in the gearing area of vehicles, but I do know that 4.10s are too much (I have them in my truck and it screams in 3rd gear at 55) and 2.76s are too tame

Something for more pep. I plan on making the car an autocross vehicle. I don't know too much in the gearing area of vehicles, but I do know that 4.10s are too much (I have them in my truck and it screams in 3rd gear at 55) and 2.76s are too tame

Still think you'd be screaming on the highway and breaking loose all over a track with any ratio mid 3's up ... just my thought.

*edit* not that I've ever before now thought of autocrossing a C Body!!

3.23 or 3.55 will work well. Depends on your engine and how much power you're making. You could even go lower with good throttle management.

I have 3.55's in my Polara, 275/60/14 tire and I'm running 2750 rpm @ 70, maybe a little slower. I wouldn't go any steeper with the gears. I only drive the car short distances so the gearing works fine, but I can appreciate the road gears the car came with.

I see. . . If the car is just gonna be used for auto-cross, that 3.55 gear would be just fine. However, if yer gonna drive the car any distance out on the road, yer gonna have a headache.

Thank you everyone for the responses. It'll be a while before any real work starts on the car, but this will help me prepare and plan. So here's the back story on the car: my great grandmother Delmae bought the car new in 1971 using the money she received when her parents' land was sold for $20k and was split among her and her 9 siblings. This was her first brand new car she ever bought. When she was living in the house I currently live in, the car was housed in a metal shed that just barely fit the car. When she died, my father occasionally used the car to drive him to college. Then his older brother, my uncle (who I got the car from), had the car in the 90s when he was in a little trouble with the law, and actually managed to successfully evade police in it. After that, it sat outside, only moving about 18 or so years ago when my uncle moved houses. Every piece on the car is original (except for the tires and possibly a few underhood parts). But it is so original that it has not yet been worked on to run unleaded gas.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnuNIfY5Cz4j-7SagEBL8AFnF3UF00SwQrjOB-Le7ihYzWnVyb.jpg

GTA is full of these things ... it pains me

IMO, in the meantime, I would at least clean it up, get it up off the ground and covered properly.. that won't cost any money, just some time and elbow grease. Try and keep her from getting any worse then she may be.

Back