New to the C body family.

sprtfury66

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a long time Mopar fan but kinda from the A body world. I just recently purchased a '66 Sport Fury 383/2 bbl/ 727 combo. I had a fair knowlege of A body stuff but have to plea a lot of ignorance in the C body group of cars. I look forward to sharing and learning.

Welcome to the site from The Motor City! Let's see some pics of your Fury.

On another forum I visit they always say it isn't true without Pics.......LOL
as another new to the C body world I love seeing others cars
:worthless_thread:

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I'm having some photo posting issues and as soon as I can figure it out, I'll get some pics up. All I have at the moment are too large to even post as an avatar. Worse come to worse, I'll just take a more distant photo and crop it down to get the pixel size downand post it as an avatar.

Today I got my insurance on her and the agent mistyped the VIN...I now have a "2 Door Hardtop Taxi" as they put my VIN's prefix down as 'PT23' rather than PP23. I didn't notice this till tonight.

You will find the C-body very similar to the A-body. I have had a 65 Newport since 1991 that has been an on and off daily driver, depending on which of our other cars my sons return to the stable. I got a 65 Dart 273 2 yrs ago that I am still working on. Before those, I had a 69 Dart 225. Many parts interchange between my 65 A and C bodies. Indeed, the year is sometimes more important than the body style.

Thanks for the info Bill. I wasn't aware that the 'A' bodies were a good possible source for a 'C'. I have learned that Chrysler C bodies seem to be an almost whole nother animal and the Dodge will most likly be a better alternative source for some items. I have run into this with Lincolns vs. Ford/Mercury issues a lot. Even back in "the day" rebadging was sone but unlike today's rebadging, even if it was built off the same platform it was like a whole different car.

They are?.... :thinker:
Thank you for saying it first. I was afraid to start.
I don't want to P.O. another member but that was the most insane comment I have ever seen posted.
And please, if it was in reference to perhaps hardware (dome light lens or air cleaner wing nut, etc).....yah. Find me one body part or soft interior item that swaps.

I don't want to P.O. another member but that was the most insane comment I have ever seen posted.

Sorry to hit a nerve. Some people are very touchy. It is tedious to qualify every statement and nobody would bother to read a fully qualified discourse, but I try below.

The design of A-bodies and C-bodies is very similar. Once you have worked on the front suspension of one, the other is almost identical. Of course most suspension parts don't interchange because everything on a C-body is bigger. But even A-bodies parts vary among themselves depending on the year (pre or post 1972), whether you have 9" or 10" brakes, etc.

Of course body parts vary, but that is also true between a Dart, Demon, or Barracuda, a 2 door or 4 door, even a 2 door hardtop and 2 door post model. Ditto for all the C-body styles. Of course a Dodge or Plymouth C-body is pretty close to a Chrysler C-body of the same year. Those are mostly branding differences (look up what "brand" means).

Parts that often interchange between A-body and C-body include engines and accessories, switches, lamps, door handles, and such. Both my 65 Dart and Newport have a cable-shift transmission, which you won't find in later years, though they don't interchange since one is for small-block and the other big-block. When you try to interchange parts, it is can be very tricky unless you stick with the same model, year, body style, and engine. However, we usually must to since parts are getting rare, especially C-body. For common parts, www.rockauto.com is a good source to verify what works on various models.

Good comeback, Bill.
Sounds like you know your stuff and I respect your original comment now that you elaborated on it.

Looking forward to seeing your pics. We are trying to locate my fathers '66 Sport Fury he purchased new back then. Owned it until mid 70's, sold it to my Uncle in Deer Park LI who gave it to my cousins boyfriend a few years later.

OK, I'm back while in a "holding patern" for my carb rebuild kit and Master cylinder to come in. I've cleaned the old gal out, replaced the battery cables, heater hoses and wiped down the seats, dashpad and package tray.

I'm having trouble uploading pictures but when I get that worked out I'll get them on here. Until then, I'll try to work them into my avatar.

I can see Bill's point. I know from working with A-bodies that Dodge may not translate into Plymouth that easy and some items may be used on other body groups. If memory searves me right the "E" cars used a number of componets from two other body groups. (One of these days I need to break down and buy an interchange manual)

69Sport Fury, I hope you find your Dad's '66 and she is still in good shape.

Nice car. You'll find the folks here very friendly and super knowledgeable about C-bodies!

Back