Nicer than expected 73 Newport

Newport73

Reaction score
So the cars I buy are usually used as rental cars for tv use. It makes it easier as I never need to certify or register the cars. I'm working on couple period shows needing 70s cars. I spot this 73 Newport and it catches my eye, price was good and it looked to be in good condition. I do my own body and painting, so again I'm not that fussy as long as the price is right. So I buy the car, do the 5 hour round trip get it home and wow what a nice car. Car has power windows, air, bucket bench, fender turn signals , a realistic am/fm cassette deck from 1984 and a realistic Cb from 1978 all in excellent condition. Now for the interesting part. The Car has org paint other than the header panel (was replaced after getting dinged) The Interior is in excellent condition. Everything works even the air. The tires are Sears road handlers date coded 1984 but look new ? The trunk was full and I mean full of parts including a Nos grill. I know it's just a newport but I can't help myself and want to do a slight restoration license and drive this beast. I'm the third owner with the org owner keeping it till 2022. Too top it off my dad had a 73 Newyorker when I was growing up
1000003998.jpg
1000004011.jpg
1000003969.jpg

Congrats on CM43M3C332372 -- with a scheduled build date of July 10, 1973, she is one of the last fuselage Newports!

B-VON, so this is a Canadian-market car. I am surprised that your car has the H53 AutoTemp A/C, because (1) AFAIK A/C was rarely ordered in Canada at the time and (2) H53 was super-rare on Newports in general.

You may find the 1973 Chrysler Thread useful, and may find useful info also in the thread where I have documented bringing back Ming (my 1973 NYB) back on the road. Ming, BTW, is currently in Canada!

1728070705138.png

Car looks good and was a great find. NOW, get some new whitewall tires on it before the ones on it now separate while driving!

CBODY67

The mileage reads 11430 so I would assume it has gone over once. The car shows very little wear so I have trouble believing it has over a 100,000 miles. On the other side I can't believe it has 11,000 miles. Lots of paper work and receipts came with the car but the mileage was never recorded. Maybe driven lots of hwy miles. The car has been off the road since 1992. As I said earlier the tires are from 1984 and show very little wear. Getting the paperwork and finding the org license plates in the trunk was a nice extra. I'll dig a little deeper into the car as that may clear up the true mileage. From my experience with 70s cars, I remember them being rust buckets and having a live span 10 years or 100,000 miles. I'm talking Canada

The mileage reads 11430 so I would assume it has gone over once. The car shows very little wear so I have trouble believing it has over a 100,000 miles. On the other side I can't believe it has 11,000 miles. Lots of paper work and receipts came with the car but the mileage was never recorded. Maybe driven lots of hwy miles. The car has been off the road since 1992. As I said earlier the tires are from 1984 and show very little wear. Getting the paperwork and finding the org license plates in the trunk was a nice extra. I'll dig a little deeper into the car as that may clear up the true mileage. From my experience with 70s cars, I remember them being rust buckets and having a live span 10 years or 100,000 miles. I'm talking Canada
Isn't that a New Yorker grill?

Tires can have lots of tread and still be dry-rotted internally. Been there, done that.

So the cars I buy are usually used as rental cars for tv use. It makes it easier as I never need to certify or register the cars. I'm working on couple period shows needing 70s cars. I spot this 73 Newport and it catches my eye, price was good and it looked to be in good condition. I do my own body and painting, so again I'm not that fussy as long as the price is right. So I buy the car, do the 5 hour round trip get it home and wow what a nice car. Car has power windows, air, bucket bench, fender turn signals , a realistic am/fm cassette deck from 1984 and a realistic Cb from 1978 all in excellent condition. Now for the interesting part. The Car has org paint other than the header panel (was replaced after getting dinged) The Interior is in excellent condition. Everything works even the air. The tires are Sears road handlers date coded 1984 but look new ? The trunk was full and I mean full of parts including a Nos grill. I know it's just a newport but I can't help myself and want to do a slight restoration license and drive this beast. I'm the third owner with the org owner keeping it till 2022. Too top it off my dad had a 73 Newyorker when I was growing up View attachment 685263View attachment 685261View attachment 685262

Nice looking four door hardtop. I'm sure yer A/C "needs charged . . ." Good luck with that ATC II.

So I pushed the a/c button and the compressor kicked in. The servo under the hood has been replaced in 1987 ( I have the invoice from the dealership) cost was $346.50. The unit still appears new. According to the tires, the car has had very little use since 1984. I don't see that the system was ever converted, it still appears to be r12.

So I pushed the a/c button and the compressor kicked in. The servo under the hood has been replaced in 1987 ( I have the invoice from the dealership) cost was $346.50. The unit still appears new. According to the tires, the car has had very little use since 1984. I don't see that the system was ever converted, it still appears to be r12.

You might be lucky. The ATC A/C systems in these cars are seldom in working condition. Is it blowing cold air?

I never really gave it time. Had the hood open and hit the air button, checked and saw the compressor running and turned the car off. I saw a black box with a bunch of lines going to it, it looked new but I didn't know what it was at the time. When I have time I check the system over better. All I can say is that you can tell that this car was the owners pride and joy. Check out under the back seat
1000004000.jpg

Back