Not sure about this. Shackles??

LMAO,..I hear ya. Yeah it's cold here too and snowing again. This winter is dragin on and on. Sucks.

My lord! I know they are upside down. I will be putting everything back to factory. I mentioned "pressure" because when the leaf spring is pulled down where it's supposed to be it will in turn apply more upward pressure on the spring. Maybe I should have said load. The more you pull down a leaf spring the more upward pressure it will have. If you take the rear leaf spring out of the shackles and pull down the spring with your hand it will get harder and harder the more you pull down. It's that simple.

vdk2010, thank you posting the layout.

The only way it would apply more pressure is if you chained the bumpers to the ground first then flipped the shackles.
The weight hasn't changed so the loading will not change.
The only thing that is changing is the relative position of the rear spring end.
If anything there will be less weight as the increased angle will transfer a very tiny amount of weight to the front wheels.

Alan

I checked my factory service manual the previous picture of 65 vert. is correct . page 17-5 of factory manual gives a picture.

Thank you..LOL

Upside Down.jpg

I wonder.....
If you inverted the shackle mount but not the shackles. Would this give some added lift? Not certain how that would look, may have to try it and see. (but not until spring gets here).

I'm going to do the job tomorrow. I will measure before and then measure after to see what the difference is. I figure I'll gain about an inch or 2 in height.

Ok, here's the outcome of putting it back to the stock confirmation. Measurement before.....From the ground to the center of the fender well lip was 22 1/4. After the flip,..24". Gain of 1 3/4..!! I'm happy with the way it looks now. Much better.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well after driving and looking at the car since the flip, I didn't like the way the car looked. To high jacked up look. Sooooo, I flipped them back the way they were. Much better look. They're staying that way. :)

Back