Not sure I have the right power steering pump, 68 newport

My steering coupler is relatively fine. I started another post stating I need a new pulley that is 5/8 shaft. My replacement pump is 5/8 but my old pump was 3/4" shaft. Trade one problem for another . Story of my life.

Just finally saw trw printed on inside of current pump.

Last edited:
I'm late to this thread, but contact the power steering pump place in Columbus, Ohio, and they can tell you what you have and what you need, and they will get you the right stuff.

Thanks Richard,
I confirmed it is a TRW with a different and modified reservoir. I am just going to have to return the new pump I got. I took the TRW to a dedicated power steering company here in town and am going to have this one repaired. Had the old one and new one and discussed with the shop. Just want to get back on the road fast and can revisit later. But basically was just leaking bad but worked. I don't want to throw endless amounts of money into a damn steering pump and the more I research it the easier it seems to be if I want to. I'm thoroughly annoyed by the previous owner and the situation I'm in but I just want to drive the car. I'm getting rid of that stupid connection that is on it for the return hose and making something a lot cleaner. Got a new pressure hose. And the shop is going to make this pump nice and clean and leak free. I just need to find a cap that isn't $80 to $100, its just ridiculous.

Thanks Richard,
I confirmed it is a TRW with a different and modified reservoir. I am just going to have to return the new pump I got. I took the TRW to a dedicated power steering company here in town and am going to have this one repaired. Had the old one and new one and discussed with the shop. Just want to get back on the road fast and can revisit later. But basically was just leaking bad but worked. I don't want to throw endless amounts of money into a damn steering pump and the more I research it the easier it seems to be if I want to. I'm thoroughly annoyed by the previous owner and the situation I'm in but I just want to drive the car. I'm getting rid of that stupid connection that is on it for the return hose and making something a lot cleaner. Got a new pressure hose. And the shop is going to make this pump nice and clean and leak free. I just need to find a cap that isn't $80 to $100, its just ridiculous.
Which cap is it? Pic?

From post number 1. Like I said it's not the original reservoir so who knows which cap it technically is. I had a cap and lost it somehow on a drive.
I thought maybe you had a link to one of those 80 dollar ones on ebay. I've got a couple old pumps around but I think there's a couple style caps.

I don't have a specific link. Just casually referring to some crazy prices I've seen along my searches lately. Might be exaggerating a bit in my heightened frustration mode. Lol. But the shop doesn't have any caps either so I'll be back to my foil top until I figure something out.

Back