Odometer not working? First car questions

NewportLover77

Reaction score
So I'm very new into the forum, so I apologize with any improper use of the threads. I'm not entirely an expert on car mechanics yet. I just got my new car.

As for some background. I grew up with my parents providing for me and my brother with game consoles. One of those being a GameCube, and we had a Starsky and Hutch game. I'm positive my love for classics started because of it. This love followed with me when I started to look for my first car. I had to keep in mind insurance costs and gas: especially gas nowadays. So for awhile I looked until I stumbled upon a 4D 77 Chrysler Newport. Surprisingly for the condition we got it, it's amazing. It's a really goofy awesome car. It's got very minor problems. We fixed the brake lights accidently by unplugging the connector to all the wiring to the steering column (not sure of the name)!

Q: So I was wondering, what would prompt the odometer to not work? We tried riding around the neighborhood to see if it'd go up to no avail. Would be pulling the dash be the only way to diagnose it and fix it?

First easy check is to see if it is connected to the transmission, it is located just rear of the shift linkage on transmission. Next, order up a service manual for your car. The manuals are a huge source of information. I and others will help if we can. Congrats on getting out of the basement.

If the speedometer still works, the speedometer cable is still connected to the transmission. If neither the odometer or the speedometer is working, either the cable is disconnected or the cable has twisted off or the cable drive gear in the transmission has failed. In that case you will probably need a new cable or a new drive assembly. If the speedometer is still working, there is a trip reset knob someplace on the face of the speedometer head. Try resetting the trip indicator. There is a small gear that drives the trip indicator and the odometer that sometimes gets stuck. Resetting the trip can sometimes free it up. If you can hear clicking coming from the speedometer head as the car is driven, the little drive gear has probably stripped out and the speedometer head will need to be removed and serviced.

Dave

Does the speedometer work and not the odometer?

Does it have factory speed control or not? The cables run through the speed control unit and could be more problems.

Does the speedometer work and not the odometer?

Does it have factory speed control or not? The cables run through the speed control unit and could be more problems.
The speedometer does work thankfully, unfortunately not the odometer. It does have speed control, but I haven't tried it. I'm not sure if it's connected, the previous owner installed a different carburetor.

Back