Oil recommendations 1976 440

This thread is great! I was going to ask about what to use in my 73 Gran Fury 400 which just turned 75,000 miles. Have a flickering oil light at idle at a stop light, need to check the level and add, if needed. Facebook groups have their fill of doom and gloom guys who said I need an engine rebuild, oil pump, drop the pan, etc. I know there are clearer heads here with more experience and I'll get better responses.....

Had the car three months, got it with 74,966 miles and have just driven it a little over 30 miles. Weekend use so far, so she sits all week long. I'm in Florida, so it's really hot now... At least the temp gauge only goes up halfway, then the thermostat opens and it drops a little with the AC running.

This thread is great! I was going to ask about what to use in my 73 Gran Fury 400 which just turned 75,000 miles. Have a flickering oil light at idle at a stop light, need to check the level and add, if needed. Facebook groups have their fill of doom and gloom guys who said I need an engine rebuild, oil pump, drop the pan, etc. I know there are clearer heads here with more experience and I'll get better responses.....

Had the car three months, got it with 74,966 miles and have just driven it a little over 30 miles. Weekend use so far, so she sits all week long. I'm in Florida, so it's really hot now... At least the temp gauge only goes up halfway, then the thermostat opens and it drops a little with the AC running.

So Deke, what kinda oil are you running? Weight, brand, etc.

So Deke, what kinda oil are you running? Weight, brand, etc.
Don't know! Haven't changed it yet. Owner's manual gives recommendations for Minnesota and areas where it gets real cold. Guessing 10 W 30 with high zinc?
Need some help.....

Don't know! Haven't changed it yet. Owner's manual gives recommendations for Minnesota and areas where it gets real cold. Guessing 10 W 30 with high zinc?
Need some help.....

A lot of us use a high zinc oil that is a little heavier than what you said. Personally, in my two '66 300s, I'm running 15W-40 Penn Grade a brand new rebuild 440, and I'm using 20W-50 PennG rade in the other. It has 90K on the clock.

A lot of us use a high zinc oil that is a little heavier than what you said. Personally, in my two '66 300s, I'm running 15W-40 Penn Grade a brand new rebuild 440, and I'm using 20W-50 PennG rade in the other. It has 90K on the clock.
That heavy an oil is OK? I have a quart of Castrol 20W50 On hand. Good for a top-off until I get a change?

That heavy an oil is OK? I have a quart of Castrol 20W50 On hand. Good for a top-off until I get a change?

If I was you, I would just go get a WIX oil filter and the Penn Grade oil (both available from Summit), and change the oil asap.

Wix filters are THE BEST Deke. I used K & N but had priming troubles every oil change. I also get smoother performance, especially from my lifters, with 10W-30 than 10W-40, even in furnace hot Tucson, AZ. I DO have a GOOD radiator, and put a pusher fan in front of it for when in traffic, which is usually where I drive it. My oil pressure goes as low as 20 psi at idle (500 rpm) but rises back to 50 psi by 1500 rpm, even when at the engines warmest when running, which is just over 210 F. (I see it rise to as high as 230 F when the motor is shut off, but not for too long.)

If I had more $$, I'd run Penngrade 10W30, but am quite happy with the Motorcraft diesel engine oil I get for $20/5 qt jug. 1217 ppm of zinc is quite good for that price, and the strong detergent keeps old Tilly's 383 clean CLEAN! I've not found better for that motor.

Wix filters are THE BEST Deke. I used K & N but had priming troubles every oil change. I also get smoother performance, especially from my lifters, with 10W-30 than 10W-40, even in furnace hot Tucson, AZ. I DO have a GOOD radiator, and put a pusher fan in front of it for when in traffic, which is usually where I drive it. My oil pressure goes as low as 20 psi at idle (500 rpm) but rises back to 50 psi by 1500 rpm, even when at the engines warmest when running, which is just over 210 F. (I see it rise to as high as 230 F when the motor is shut off, but not for too long.)

If I had more $$, I'd run Penngrade 10W30, but am quite happy with the Motorcraft diesel engine oil I get for $20/5 qt jug. 1217 ppm of zinc is quite good for that price, and the strong detergent keeps old Tilly's 383 clean CLEAN! I've not found better for that motor.
Just got off the phone with a local shop who loves to work on old cars. Owner has a 29 Pontiac! Has only used WIX filters and said he’d check the oil pressure switch to make sure that isn’t a problem.

Next Friday Eleanor goes on for a transfusion. So much for the July 2nd cruise night.

I've been using this, it does...

"Available in convenient 5 quart bottles, the formulation is perfect for the Hot Rod and Classic Car crowd with an increased zinc value of 2100 PPM. Because many of these very special machines often spend long periods (winter for example in some parts of the country) off the roads, a number of the components of the additive package used in Lucas' Marine oils to provide rust and corrosion protection have been included in its unique formula."

View attachment 381270

Just for giggles, here's their zinc level sheet

View attachment 381277
I'm guessing that is some pricey stuff.

What ever happened to Wolf's Head and Kendall GT-1?
As someone said the original refinery is long gone, but the brand is still around. I bought some granny fluid just last week.

Last edited:
Back