Only 29.95!

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Always wondered if that man died rich or poor.....

Maybe young girls showing a bit of cleavage got a special two for one deal...

It has been said that Earl Scheib actually did pretty good paint work, it was the body/prep you wanted to do yourself. Llike a lot of franchises, it also depended on the location/owner. I had forgotten how cheap they were at first....... $29.95 indeed.....

Like MAACO, they had several levels of service. What they advertised usually got a quick scuff and taping of just the glass, surrounding chrome, and safety-related items Everything else got color. Not always the best, as advertised, but certainly less expensive than a normal body shop. They also had their own unique paints, I suspect, too. Looked good for a year or so, then things started deteriorating.

You could also do the chrome/trim removal yourself before taking the vehicle to the shop. Some did that for a better look as others didn't seem to care. Those that did could pride themselves on a decent paint job for less money than a normal body shop.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

What they advertised usually got a quick scuff and taping of just the glass, surrounding chrome, and safety-related items Everything else got color.
If you left the back window down, and put your little brother in the back seat, they would do him for free. (This is as according to the testimony of Bruce Springsteen).

09.08.78 Cleveland, OH, intro to ´Growin´Up´
............and all I have to go see Him in was my mother's Rambler, was all beat up, all smashed up, paint scraped off the side so I drive over to Clarence's house…..…..I say ´Clarence….I got the word, I gotta go see God tonight´, he says ´Well, you can´t go in that car…..´So what do you mean I can't go in this, it's the only car I got´, he says ´That thing is, thing´s ugly as hell, it's like, you think He's gonna see you in that car?….there's gonna be guys up there with Monte Carlos, Lincolns, Continentals, you think He's gonna notice you?´….I said ´Ok, ok´ so I went down to Earl Scheib….at the time it was 39.95, I went by the other day, I seen that Earl since upped it ten bucks (chuckles) but anyway, he does the car, midnight blue, I leave the windows down, he does the interior for free….if I had my brother in the back seat, he had done him free of charge too, it´s like (chuckles)….anyway, me and Clarence................

Last edited:
I actually lived the Earl Scheib experience back in the early 80's. By that time the base price was $99.99, killer inflation:D. You could get the deluxe job for $139, with that you got better paint with more available colors, that's what I opted for. The car was an optionless 1965 Belvedere I wagon from out west. I took out out all the dents, completely prepped & wet sanded, removed all chrome, & masked everything myself. It turned out really well, pretty amazing for the price. The paint was much higher quality than you might expect & it was pretty smooth with minimal orange peel. The owner liked my car, he was into the older stuff, he had a grabber green boss Mustang stashed away in the corner.

On the other hand, my neighbor had a late model T-bird but he didn't like the color. For that stupid reason he took it down to the same place as-is. It looked like one of the ones that they made fun of in stand-up & song.

Would it have been on RT 51 ?
Yes, I grew up in the Mt. Oliver/Knoxville area. Earl's place was a few doors out 51 from the old army
reserve center. Actually drove past there yesterday and the building is still there. Pretty sure there's a
body shop in there now.

Would it have been on RT 51 ?

They were all over the place back in the day, apparently at least 3 in the Pittsburgh area.

Mine was here, they hung on a long time after the franchise thing went kaput, into the 2020's-

8120 Ohio River Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Earl S.jpg

My neighbor had prepared a 1970 Camaro by printing, feather filling and jamming it and took it to Earl’s house in the early 90s and got it painted orange. He added the RS stripes and after reassembling it flipped it for 5k. I think the Scheib job cost about 300.

I also had my 65 Mustang painted similarly (neighbor prepped and jammed it) by MAACO. I had the most expensive job, a polyurethane? It lasted about 8 years as it started oxidizing, badly.

I saw that you are in the 90's. Round these parts anywhere form 110-115 for the next 10 days ! Hell's Fire !!
30 years ago when I moved to Southern Nevada I said "It can never be too Hot" Now I regret that statement..
Wow!! 90's is moderate compared to 110-115. Our daughter just spent a couple days in Phoenix for work
last week. She never saw anything like that heat. I had a few days like that in White Sands, NM. during the
army days, real ancient history.

Back