Other Hobby's Besides Cars

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
What else is everyone interested in when not wrenching on your car? For me it's gardening. Due to a year long growing season and the high prices and shortages at the grocery store we grow most of our produce. Tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, cabbage, kale, green Onions, carrots, peas, radishes and garlic etc is what we're growing now.
20230111_174834.jpg
20230111_174855.jpg
20230111_175756.jpg
20230111_175819.jpg
20230111_174843.jpg

Nerd alert .. get out your pocket protector.
447404?$large$&fmt=auto&qlt=default.jpg

Other than cars, closest thing to a "hobby".

Studying it from 9th grade, until as college freshman it became apparent I didn't have the neurons to reconcile classical mechanics and quantum mechanics, let alone the simpler stuff.

Remain interested all these years later. Still can't do 80% of the math (my daughter the rocket scientist can), but can't get enough of the fundamental theories. Sold a screenplay, though, me and the kids wrote (no movie yet - maybe it'll happen) on it. A sci-fi drama no less.

source of this art: The Map of Quantum Physics Domain Nd Science Poster Art Gift by Amy Boyles

map 1JJJ1.png

Last edited:
You’re setting the bar pretty high for the rest of us, dude. My Montgomery Ward collecting hobby is pretty lame compared to this!
I do make terrible YouTube videos for fun, so there’s that.

I have several hobbies that I wish I had more time for (playing guitar, fishing, hunting). My one hobby that can never bbe put aside is our equines. They're like big kids that constantly need food, attention, and love. Thankfully since im on the road so much, my wife shares the same hobby.

32517.jpeg

20220918_144840.jpg

20210902_174029.jpg

20220728_180345.jpg

I am having trouble getting away from "vehicles" .. but I still have this adjacent hobby after almost 60 years. have every one of these and others -- and maybe 20 unbuilt waiting for me to retire.
Monogram.jpg.png

I do some fishing and hunting. But between work and life I don’t do as much as I’d like. I’m not worth a hoot at fishing, but I luck out hunting occasionally.
As my avatar suggests, I like guitars and try to play but, could never come close to what my hero’s could do.

7506D963-9630-4FA2-849D-B86B9A2D970E.jpeg

1A5EBDDD-3E8B-4F31-815F-1402F2A18221.jpeg

Oops! I need to start wearing my glasses when looking at this stuff on my phone!
I’ve had a few horses. The last one was a Blue Roan that threw me off after getting spooked by toy dump truck laying in the field. I hit the ground like sack of potatoes. I give it up after that!

I like to ride motorcycles, nothing new. Right now I've got two an 83 Honda V65 Magna and a 2008 Honda ST1300.
2Fimages%2Fmgl%2F8wVK3%2Fs1%2F1984-honda-v65-magna.jpg
indshield_mcl_highway_pegs__drivers_backrest_1_lgw.jpg

Neither of these are pictures of my bikes, but you get the idea. The ST1300 (on the right) I haven't had for a year yet. I bought it with about 21k miles on it think yeah I'm going riding. Soon I discovered that all the time it sat caused issues with the brakes. Then I spent months waiting for parts thanks to supply chain issues. The last week of December the weather warmed up some and I was off work so I started working on it. Redid the brakes, installed new parts and bleed the system. It's front and rear brakes are linked so it is not a simple as a typical bike. New tire for the back, I've got one waiting to go on the front as well, and a new seal to put in one of the forks. The problem is that the temps dipped again now, 40° is a bit cool to be in the garage.

I also do wood working and I like to make plastic models - mostly cars but select military aircraft as well.

We also garden during the correct season.

Love the garden! Wish we had the climate to do that here in Canada, but most of our soil bound veggies end out soaking wet and rotting in the ground. Too much rain, not enough sun. Also takes up a ton of time.
For the last 40 +/- years I have coached baseball, mostly youth teams from ages 5 - 16, but some men's teams long ago before I had my own kids. Been on a baseball diamond since I was 5, and I am 64 this year, so many thousands of hours on the field, and off season doing training in gyms, batting cages and community centers. I have been extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to coach hundreds of fine young people, watch them grow into young men and woman and move forward with their lives. A lot of really good life lessons can be learned on a baseball diamond.
I have also had the chance to play and coach all over the continent, from many cities across Canada, to Vegas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Texas, Salt Lake City, Florida, and Chicago. I retired from coaching last September after winning a Canadian National Championship with my youngest son, in the AAA 15 U Division. It seemed like an appropriate time to do so, but the phone has been ringing over the winter, so who knows? Not sure I am ready to hit the links! Cam Shaft

What else is everyone interested in when not wrenching on your car? For me it's gardening. Due to a year long growing season and the high prices and shortages at the grocery store we grow most of our produce. Tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, cabbage, kale, green Onions, carrots, peas, radishes and garlic etc is what we're growing now.
View attachment 575948View attachment 575949View attachment 575950View attachment 575951View attachment 575952

Is it all organic???

I'm a huge baseball fan myself. Coached both my boys teams from t-ball through senior league.

Pretty much everything I do is automotive based. I collect prewar radiator emblems, threaded hubcaps, data plates and Boyce Motometers. The exception is cameras with a small collection plus a massive Mitchell 35 mm Hollywood camera.

DSCF4093.JPG

DSCF9228.JPG

20200820_150129.jpg

20200820_150235.jpg

20211127_145552.jpg

For me it's gardening. lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, radishes a is what we're growing now.

Another gardener here also. I have to ask being that you're in a hot climate. I'm guessing that the items that I've listed from your post is what you're growing now in the winter months? They are cold weather crops that I had problems growing when I was in central CA. except during the winter months. These are from my CA. garden.
259.JPG
1541.JPG

P6150047.JPG

This is the same head!!!
191.JPG

192.JPG

The peas, broccoli garlic, and cauliflower are winter only but most of the rest grows year round. We do take July and August off though due to the extreme heat here.

Love fresh veggies from a home garden. We stopped our vegetable gardening for a few years, but with the prices in the stratosphere, i think we'll start it again this spring.

We had chickens for a while. The fresh eggs were fantastic, the hardest part was getting someone to take care of them when we were gone... Chickens aren't cute and cuddly either... If you fell down in their yard, they would start eating you.

Latest hobby has been 3D printing. I bought a Creality printer about 6 months ago and been having some fun making stuff. There's a few things for the shop I don't have pictures of, like the piece to fix my shop vac, but the most fun is doing stuff like this.

The latest thing I did was this... These are not my designs... I'm barely capable of putting 2 boxes together in the CAD software, so this stuff is way out of my league. This guy was about 40 parts, some are the color of the plastic and some I painted.

E5cbDJ7.jpg

More stuff... Again painted and/or plastic color.

FypG5Ch.jpg

Wouldn't be complete without some Rick and Morty. I know, right?

d1CFaxZ.jpg

Then, I caught a sale on a resin printer last week. The detail with these machines is unbelievable. I've only done their sample print, but wow... If you look, there's a tiny stairway inside this rook.

s2TnBTE.jpg

mbEtwDv.jpg

Darn deer always destroy my garden when I put one out. They get plenty healthy, then they go in the freezer!

Back