Paint code question

Mocop

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 1965 Plymouth Fury I two door that has the gold colored paint with the paint code XY2 Y (see below). I looked it up the codes and “X” shows as light tan (looks gold on the car but rust has taken a toll) “Y” shows as medium tan poly, and the 2 indicates a two-tone paint job. Any paint experts know what this means? Car looks like it is solid color and it is all original from what I can tell, no repaints at all - thanks for help!

Open IMG_6744.png

IMG_2577 copy.jpeg

For a verification of the colors, might head over to the "Library" section of www.hamtramck-historical.com . Follow the charts to the "Color and Trim" books. Might even be a paiint chip chart page? Lots of interesting information in there!

CBODY67

The tag is telling you the top and body were 2 different colors.

Unless this tag belongs to a different car. Which is possible.

Otherwise some or all of the car has been repainted.

Tag is correct to the car, matches the build sheet I found under rear seat - top is so surface rusted that I can’t tell if the car was two colors, was it common for plymouth to do the two tone with top of the car different than the body?

"Tops" were usually where the two-tones happened back then. An option.

If you have the correct build sheet, it should detail those things, I suspect.

IF it notes "Special Mask", that is a customer-specified paint scheme, as in law enforcement departments specifying the colors and such, plus two-tones. Like doors, tops, and hoods being one color and different from the other body sections/parts. Those color combinations were specific to the state or municipality ordering the vehicles. Or possibly a major fleet account with their own "logo colors" that are specific to them.

CBODY67

since it was ordered as a police vehicle anything is possible that might not normally be seen...perhaps a lighter color roof to reflect the sunlight so they wouldn't roast on stakeouts or speed traps?

Ok good you have the broadcast sheet. They did 2 tone paint but I would say it's not that common. But they can be seen when looking at fender tags, like a handful a year.

There are plenty of 2 tone cars with a black painted roof. So it doesn't always go with lighter tops.

One side issue might be that the new vinyl top coverings were starting to replace two-tone paint, letting teh vinyl top be the "two-tone" color, many times. Moreso on hardtops than sedans and probably FEW Fury Is had them.

FWIW,
CBODY67

Here is the build sheet, I encased it in clear plastic (wife teacher has the right stuff!), otherwise it would disintegrate away, the one under the floor was just bits (but had “P1- Police” written in pen) - paint and style says “XY2” under paint and style, under trim it is “K2T”, betting that it was two tone, just need to figure out what the roof color was exactly (sides car definitely used to be gold/tan color) - thanks for everyone’s help!

image.jpg

Back