Pandoras box

furyus 67

Reaction score
Starting to clean the engine bay. I'm debating on unplugging the engine harness and blocking it off so I can degrease and power wash the engine bay. I'm looking for some experience on this one. Considering it's a 48-year-old car could this be a Pandora's box? Should I just plastic cover the wires and tape them out of the way or is there a good chance that I'd be okay unplugging it?

I haven't touched my wiring harness due to the fact I want to drive my car as soon as I get off my lazy *** and finish my exhaust. In was going to get a bunch of wire and redo it this past winter, but that never happened. I'll do.It this winter, I hope.

Thats kinda my thought Locumob . I want mine on the road as soon as i get the 413 done. I dont want to wind up sabotaging my self into more work just before cruise season.

It would be nice to find out if the there's problems now, locally, rather than later a 100 miles from home.

Good point! I just don't want to cause any problems! Heh...decisions decisions!

The fact my car runs with the wiring the goofball before me modified, I don't dare touch any more than absolutely necessary until in have plenty of down time to repair, actually replace, the whole thing. Evans wiring will be my friend this winter.

I'm not sure what the question is?

I frequently take my cars to the self serve car was and blast away under the hood. I do nothing but open the hood, just do not aim directly at the air cleaner openings, heck I don't even worry about the distributor.

If your concern is that wires might be brittle and unplugging things may do harm then it might be time to replace the wires, cleaning is the least of your concerns.

Alan

I've taken apart and put them back together lots of times with no issues. It's a good chance to clean up the terminals and see if there is any problems.

You have to be careful not to break the tabs off the connectors and when it's apart, use some Deoxit to clean the contacts. It's only a little more work to pull the complete harness. Just take a couple pictures if you are unsure of putting it back together.

You could buy Deoxit at Radio Shack or sometimes places that sell guitars will have it. Amazon has it too. Get the red.... I prefer the bottle with the little brush, but they have sprays too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1APV09JR2VE8QDJR2J6J

That's true Mr.Mopar about the least of my concerns! Eventually I will go thru very bit of the car. The kid in me wants to make sure I'm on the road this summer. It's going to be a work in progress for awhile, a running work in progress is the goal! I'm gonna brave it! Thanks Big John. That pretty much answered my question. I'll pick up the deoxit tomorrow when I'm out.

Back