Paper water pump and timing cover gaskets: RTV sealant or nothing?

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've acquired a Felpro gasket set for the water pump and timing cover (this is a 318). I have the early timing cover so the water pump is the cast iron type.

No instructions came with with it. A small tube of Felpro grey RTV came with it, but I presume this is for the small cork pieces at the front of the oil pan.

On Felpro's website, you can punch in the product number and you'll get info on that product, but in this case there is (again) no available instructions. I was looking around the site for general info about dressing paper gaskets but can't find anything.

Permatex makes a water pump and thermostat RTV sealant, claimed to be their best for glycol resistance or compatibility. It comes in a small tube, nobody in my town carries it, I have a tube that might be 5 years old, still some left. If I can't make that work I have some ultra black.

But my basic question is - do you dress a paper gasket? A paper water pump gasket? The timing cover gasket is mostly just in contact with the block, but there is a portion of it that is in contact with the coolant passage, so attention must also be paid there.

So, as factory new, or like new, you could easily get away with nothing but the paper. As you said, you are going to want to use the RTV at corners.
Most folks who dress a paper gasket will use High-Tack, CopperCoat or even Permatex on the cover, but not the block.....this would make any following disassembly and cleanup go easier.

Last edited:
The timing cover (aluminum?) was some-what corroded on the face that contacts the block IN THE AREA AROUND THE COOLANT PASSAGES. The entire reason why I've had to take everything apart was a leak between the block and cover on the passenger side coolant passage. So I'm reluctant to put this together dry.

Now I did clean the corroded surface with a wire wheel and solvent, and then I filled the pot holes with JB weld. Sanded it down smooth, the surface is now smooth and flat. I wish there was something more "modern" and synthetic available for these 318 gaskets other than paper.

My father was a mechanic in the 30's and was in the 126th ordnance battalion attached to Patton's 3rd army. We always made paper gaskets from cereal boxes and never had a problem, even with the printing side of the cardboard.

Some of the modern paper gaskets by Fel-Pro are blue in color, those have a peel off strip with adhesive. You usually would apply that style without sealant. My self, I use Permatex hi-tack with good results.

Dave

Back in the later 1970s, our service manager was racing jet boats. On the output nozzle, there were angled shims which helped "aim" the output water in the desired direction. When he put them together, he used clear silicone sealer (which was all we had back then). In order to remove the shims, he had to get a metal rod with an angled end on it to wedge between the shims. Which meant the silicone was as much of a sealer as it was an adhesive between the shims. Using this knowledge, IF you coat the housings you want to seal with just high heat black silicone sealer, it could well take a hammer and chisel to get the water pump housing casting away from the cast iron cyl block. Might even crack the housing trying to get it off. Not desired.

The minimum approach would be to put the gaskets up "dry" and use the supplied little tube of sealer for the corners and such. Then use the Permatex sealer Davea mentioned in the manner he mentioned, for good measure. Might even be advisable to put a dab of it on the bolt threads, too? Or is that another Permatex product?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I was taught, if the part being removed isn't a "machined" surface anymore use RTV on it. A small bead around the area the gasket sits in. Then smear it flat with your finger. You should still be able to remove it later if need be, and it should seal in the imperfections time and age has given it. I never puts it on the mounting surface unless its really needs it.

Some of the modern paper gaskets by Fel-Pro are blue in color, those have a peel off strip with adhesive. You usually would apply that style without sealant. My self, I use Permatex hi-tack with good results.

Dave

These are blue paper gaskets, light blue with I think a few darker blue stripes. I'm going to have to look very closely at them, it wasn't obvious there is a peel-off layer on them.

I was going to pick up a can of Permatex high-tack, but the store I went do didn't have it. It did have a can of aviation form-a-gasket, I'm guessing the can also has a brush like the hi-tack. I'll use this aviation stuff unless I there's some pretty strong reasons why I shouldn't.

These are blue paper gaskets, light blue with I think a few darker blue stripes. I'm going to have to look very closely at them, it wasn't obvious there is a peel-off layer on them.

I was going to pick up a can of Permatex high-tack, but the store I went do didn't have it. It did have a can of aviation form-a-gasket, I'm guessing the can also has a brush like the hi-tack. I'll use this aviation stuff unless I there's some pretty strong reasons why I shouldn't.
Aviation stuff works fine, it is messy to work with.

Dave

Back