park cable adjustment!!!!!!!

1961 dodge

Reaction score
help!!! i read the stuff i could find on here about this and thought i had it adjusted, backed out of garage and car on slight incline, now wont come out of park. Is there a sure fire way to adjust this damn thing?

help!!! i read the stuff i could find on here about this and thought i had it adjusted, backed out of garage and car on slight incline, now wont come out of park. Is there a sure fire way to adjust this damn thing?

OK, you're driving a '61 Dodge? When you say "Park," do you refer to the transmission or the "Emergency Brake" as it then was known? I KNOW you have a button and cable linkage on your tranny. Now, have you tried jacking the car up, crawling beneath it, and manipulating the linkage thus? OR, can you get to it from under the hood, without getting dirty and down?

Take 1 gram of Damitall, then attempt to directly manipulate what the cable attaches to. You probably will want some chocks blocking the wheels, especially if you're crawling under the vehicle.

Do as I prescribed, and see if you can't free the stuck Park....

it has a 63 cable shift trans with the cable to the parking pawl.

See if you can get under it, detach the cable, and manually shift the thing out of Park by hand, or with some small tool. You should jack it up carefully to get the rear wheels off the ground. This will be a bit tricky, but by releasing the tension on the drive shaft and transmission, it might permit the pawl to easily release.

If you can place wheel dollies under the rear wheels, and push the car back up onto level ground, it would be better to do so before getting under it.

You might look around for a B & M shifter for this one until you can get ALL those button linkage matters just right.

Can you have someone rock it forward a bit to release some pressure on the parking pawl. Even on a column auto shift, it can be difficult to get out of park on an incline if the pawl is engaged.

Back