pictures of my harmonic balancer - advice?

Pay the piper and either rebuild yours or get a replacement.
31; I showed the balancer to my mechanic (another drag racer) and he said it didn't look that bad and that I could re-use it. He said to put marks on the outer and inner metal rings to see if the marks shift out of the aligned position with time.

I know I'm going to get some responses like " you cheap SOB why don't you just spend the money and replace/rebuild it?". But I'm a senior citizen on fixed income to be truthful I think the car will outlast me. Plus I don't think the engine has ever been above 5,000 RPM's its entire life.

So as things sit now I plan on reusing the old balancer unless something better comes along. Paul

Your harmonic balancer is junk.
For $140 you should be able to buy a new one.
1970; showed the balancer to my mechanic (also a drag racer) and he said it wasn't that bad and that I could reuse it. He said to mark the inner and outer metal rings to see if the marks moved out of alignment with time.
I'll probably get some comments like "why don't you just replace or rebuild it you cheap SOB" but being a senior citizen on fixed income I'll probably reuse the old balancer unless something else comes along. Besides I don't think the engine ever goes over 3000 rpm when I drive and the car will probably outlast me. Paul

he said it wasn't that bad and that I could reuse it. He said to mark the inner and outer metal rings to see if the marks moved out of alignment with time.
I'll disagree about the condition, but it's up to you if you think you can use it. I do think that marking it is very good advice. Thinking on it, if it does fail, it's probably just going to turn. I'd keep an eye on it though.
I'll probably get some comments like "why don't you just replace or rebuild it you cheap SOB" but being a senior citizen on fixed income I'll probably reuse the old balancer unless something else comes along. Besides I don't think the engine ever goes over 3000 rpm when I drive and the car will probably outlast me.
You'll never get that type of comment here.... Or if you do, it's "tongue in check". Quite a few of us are retired, and there's quite a few that are older than you.

Me, I'm 69 and been retired over 8 years. I did OK over the years, but I have to watch spending too.

31; I showed the balancer to my mechanic (another drag racer) and he said it didn't look that bad and that I could re-use it. He said to put marks on the outer and inner metal rings to see if the marks shift out of the aligned position with time.

I know I'm going to get some responses like " you cheap SOB why don't you just spend the money and replace/rebuild it?". But I'm a senior citizen on fixed income to be truthful I think the car will outlast me. Plus I don't think the engine has ever been above 5,000 RPM's its entire life.

So as things sit now I plan on reusing the old balancer unless something better comes along. Paul

Where are you located? I may have a good cast crank 440 dampener. I’ll check and IM you.

Back