power tools recommendation

70Tom

Reaction score
So, after this weekend of dismantling my 70s' interior, I think it's become apparent that I need to get some power tools. I can barely type on my computer keyboard my hands hurt so badly. Since I sold my compressor years ago, I no longer have my impact driver, which would always be helpful with bigger bolts. I think it's also time I look for a power screwdriver.

So, my question is this: what brand/models would you recommend for an electric impact wrench/driver and/or screwdriver? What's your thoughts on cordless? As I'm using this at home, it seems like the recharge may be more of a pain than anything.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
As my air tools need replacing I'm going cordless. Brand, well not sure about brand I buy what's a decent deal at the time. I don't think I'll ever replace all the air tools but impact and air ratchet are easily replaced with cordless.

It's just so much cheaper to run the cordless tools vs the compressor. I've done away with the DA, longboard air file, Shear and nibbler. The electric versions for me are quieter generally more powerful.

Lots of good brands out there... I know lots of guys who like their Dewalt stuff. I am not trying to argue with that, but for me... I hate to have more than one brand of batteries to charge. As a home user, and someone who is prone to doing a lot of heavy use and then long down periods, I know the tools will usually out live the batteries. None of the good batteries are all that cheap.

Many years ago, I found that a power adhesive/caulking gun was high on my priority list. With high viscosity products I consistently seem to want to use, this is a big hand saver vs even an expensive pro type gun. I went with Ryobi, they always have bundle deals at home depot on black friday...(6am trip most years and my only participation in the day).
large_e5314bb7-7a24-456d-8fed-adff062ecfad.jpg

I work this stuff to death when I work it... I'm on my third gun and am pleased with price vs performance... lots of saws and drills too. I gave my older NiCad batteries and a matching charger to a coworker a couple years ago, the lithium batteries are just too much better. I have also slowly been phasing out the old lawn equipment into this system (would be done IF Viv had talked to me before buying new batteries for old B&D junk).

I love my air tools, I just spent a couple hundred having 2 Snap on air chisels rebuilt again ( one has been getting rebuilt since the 80's and always comes back as the latest model) well worth it for just under a grand in pro level tools. That said, I wouldn't push pro level tools on most home users and 67 Monaco has it right... the tools he mentioned are air hogs and will run even a big commercial compressor hard... you're far better off with either cordless or plugin.

Bottom line, decide what tools you want. If you decide to go cordless, buy one brand so you can interchange batteries... and hope they don't decide to redesign their batteries too soon and obsolete everything you own (makita did that to me twice).

20v all the way! Our truck mechanics have shown me 20v snap ons doing the work air impacts used to do. Lighter and mobile, our trucks don't need to be moved to get something to be fixed where its parked. For smaller stuff dewalt works great. Good point on black friday sales.

They make a battery operated power tool with the torque and strength of an air impact gun?

Snapon's monster lithium 18v makes 750 ft.-lbs. Quite impressive for a battery gun as barnfind said. The Milli amp hours stat on batteries is actually more important than how many volts it is.
Snapon is very expensive though for the average home user, but for the professional guys its the one to get.
As for other brands dewalt and Milwaukee seem to pretty good.

No yellow tools in my shop and ever since Black & Decker took over Porter Cable, the quality went down the tubes too. Ok rant over...
For occasional use I'm sure they're all relatively decent and places like the Home Depot offer them cheap so when they brake you just throw them away and go buy new. Let's keep those container ships coming! Whoops, sorry, ranting again, can't help it.

Before you buy tools watch this guy's channel . he goes through lots of tools. beware he's from Canadia and the language might be salty for some. also other great words like skookum. :)

Anyway for me Dewalt is merely glorified black and decker. wait it is just black and decker. magine that.

FWIW, I've been assembling and installing commercial furniture with Dewalt cordless drills for 20+ years. Price and durability are what have kept me buying them. Lithium batteries and a built in light are the best upgrades to have.

Hope the input helps.

John

Sitting out untill a new load leveller comes to me. Had some time to post a vid.

Last edited:
The only electric power tool I use for interior work is one of these:

Ryobi-Tek4-Cordless-Right-Angle-Driver.jpg

My wife bought it for me a few years ago and I was surprised how much I like it. Built in flash light to see what I'm doing too.

For everything else.... Well... I have an impact that I use for heavy stuff and an air ratchet that I use if I'm doing a lot of disassembly (like tearing down an engine). That's really it.

The only electric power tool I use for interior work is one of these:

Ryobi-Tek4-Cordless-Right-Angle-Driver.jpg

My wife bought it for me a few years ago and I was surprised how much I like it. Built in flash light to see what I'm doing too.

For everything else.... Well... I have an impact that I use for heavy stuff and an air ratchet that I use if I'm doing a lot of disassembly (like tearing down an engine). That's really it.

What is that?

Thanks for all the tips guys. Good point on sticking with one brand so the batteries interchange.

If you aren't using it very hard on a daily basis, just go to Harbor Freight. (I have many tools from there, I use them very hard on a weekly basis, and not ONE has broken in any way)! Why not save your hard earned cash on a tool of equal quality to that of a Home Depot special?

Last edited:
I have this and use the 1/4 impact driver at work more than the drill, the battery will last longer with the impact than the drill. For longer life get a higher amp/hr battery but price of the kit will go up.

or just get another tool with an extra battery :p

I purchased the 12 volt kit and like two months later they came out with the 20V max :BangHead:

Back