Question about 1967 Plymouth Fury popularity

Retroman

Reaction score
I own a 1967 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hardtop coupe with a 383 commando. I have noticed when looking at Furys offered for sale or shown many are 65-66s and then 68-70s... I do not encounter a lot of 1967s and when I do they are mostly convertibles. Looking at the production figures they do not seem too widely off to make 67's rare. Is there a bias against that year? Not a big following? Some hidden model year flaw that I am unaware? Have any of you noticed this and have ideas of why this seams to be? Just curious, thanks. Retroman.

I think the same thing about my 67 Newport. Maybe I am just imagining it but there seems to be a lot less material on this site about 67's compared to all other years.

I disagree in part. Yes, there seam to be more 65-66 Furys For Sale than 67-68's but I see 2-3 67 Furys for sale for every 68. My recall is that the 67 Fury total production was more than the 68's.

I think the 67 and 68 Furys are both great looking cars. I think most people who own them, love them and keep them. Then sell them when life circumstances change, like death or financial issues. It's not like you have a white elephant.

I think it is a toss up as to which years are more available than the others. Some times I see more 67 models for sale then all of a sudden I see some 68s pop up. That includes the Fury I,II, & III as well as Sport Fury and the VIP. My preference was for the 68 because that is the year my dad had when I was a kid.

I disagree in part. Yes, there seam to be more 65-66 Furys For Sale than 67-68's but I see 2-3 67 Furys for sale for every 68. My recall is that the 67 Fury total production was more than the 68's.

They make more 68 than 67 in total……..
I like the 68 more than the 67 , the 67 rear lights looks messy ( specially if they not in one line ) and the front/grill looks to big compare with a 68...…..my opinion...…..
s3.jpg

I own a 1967 Plymouth Fury III 2 door hardtop coupe with a 383 commando. I have noticed when looking at Furys offered for sale or shown many are 65-66s and then 68-70s... I do not encounter a lot of 1967s and when I do they are mostly convertibles. Looking at the production figures they do not seem too widely off to make 67's rare. Is there a bias against that year? Not a big following? Some hidden model year flaw that I am unaware? Have any of you noticed this and have ideas of why this seams to be? Just curious, thanks. Retroman.
I know it is just the eb and flow of the collector car market. I would like to see pictures of your 1967 Fury. Please post here or make a garage on this site.

I think it is a toss up as to which years are more available than the others. Some times I see more 67 models for sale then all of a sudden I see some 68s pop up. That includes the Fury I,II, & III as well as Sport Fury and the VIP. My preference was for the 68 because that is the year my dad had when I was a kid.
I am a 1967 Fury man. Same reason, the year my father had. So many people ask why 1967 Fury and Why C body's. Well we all here have our reasons. I tell other people " because I like the car and other C bodys as well". Some times they look at me with a smirk or they say that's nice. When I attend either a Mopar or open make/model car show I like walking the whole show. I appreciate all kinds of cars. I mete the owners and enjoy the comradery. That is how I met many of my close friends.

All the slab Fury's are very beautifully designed models including the 4 doors.
I simply love the clean crisp lines they have.
The Newports, 300's are right up there too IMHO

If I didn't have my Polara I would have gotten a Fury fo' sho' :lol:

If I was rich, I'd have as many as possible but then I'd be broke from buying them all! LOL!

I’ve now owned both. My 68 was my favorite car. Now my 67 is. Lol. The rear of the 68 I always thought looked to “70’s” for me. Never liked it. I find the 67’s more different, unique. It is an odd kinda design shape thought. I like the 67 lines a little better.

Either car is so similar. Same interiors I believe. Both ride the same.

Love em. I, too, would own a few if money allowed. I’d have a stock, sleeper and a moredoor.

Funny, my take is totally different - it seems like I see more 67s compared to 68. I like both but prefer the 68, for pretty much the same reasons as stated earlier by 69monaco.

The 67 with a 68 rear end would be almost ideal.I like the full denture grille of the 67 better than the 68 with that lower Color coordinated insert.

Just vice versa to the 67 and 68 Imperials where I prefer the latter.

Here is my story. In the spring of 1967 my parents bought a new 67 Fury III 4 door. We were the typical 1960s family with 4 kids and my dad was an original Southern California car nut and hot rodder that had become a Plymouth fan since buying a new Fury in 1959. Our 67 Fury III was our 3rd Fury and it was white with blue interior, 383 4bbl, 727, AC, AM/FM stereo and cruise control, the same color combo and powertrain as our 64, which was traded in for the 67. My parents used all three to tow a trailer and it served us well, taking us virtually everywhere in the western US on vacations over the years. I even learned to drive in it when I got my permit in 1973. However, I recall that even as a kid I immediately thought my parents bought a year too early when the 68s came out. I like the tail lights on the 68 way better than the 67 and I absolutely love the 68 side marker lights. 1968 was the first year for side marker lights and to me there is nothing cooler than the little round 68 side marker lights. So, fast-forward to the early 2000s and I am itching for a Mopar convertible, but can't afford an A, B or E body. That's OK, 'cause I like C bodies, too, so I am hunting for a nice one to get my fix. Beggars can't be choosers and after 30 plus years we take what we can get, and it just so happened that I found a 68 Sport Fury that really floats my boat, so to speak. I picked it up in June of 2004 in Detroit, and my brother and I drove it home to California, making a nice road trip out of it. My cars are driven and I truly love having it.
:thumbsup:

Here is my story. In the spring of 1967 my parents bought a new 67 Fury III 4 door. We were the typical 1960s family with 4 kids and my dad was an original Southern California car nut and hot rodder that had become a Plymouth fan since buying a new Fury in 1959. Our 67 Fury III was our 3rd Fury and it was white with blue interior, 383 4bbl, 727, AC, AM/FM stereo and cruise control, the same color combo and powertrain as our 64, which was traded in for the 67. My parents used all three to tow a trailer and it served us well, taking us virtually everywhere in the western US on vacations over the years. I even learned to drive in it when I got my permit in 1973. However, I recall that even as a kid I immediately thought my parents bought a year too early when the 68s came out. I like the tail lights on the 68 way better than the 67 and I absolutely love the 68 side marker lights. 1968 was the first year for side marker lights and to me there is nothing cooler than the little round 68 side marker lights. So, fast-forward to the early 2000s and I am itching for a Mopar convertible, but can't afford an A, B or E body. That's OK, 'cause I like C bodies, too, so I am hunting for a nice one to get my fix. Beggars can't be choosers and after 30 plus years we take what we can get, and it just so happened that I found a 68 Sport Fury that really floats my boat, so to speak. I picked it up in June of 2004 in Detroit, and my brother and I drove it home to California, making a nice road trip out of it. My cars are driven and I truly love having it.
:thumbsup:

And here I thought I was the only one that felt that way about the 68 marker lights. Everything after those were so 'every one has them'.

Owning a 68, it seems to me, that the most I see are 66's, then the 67's, then 68's, then 70's. Of all the 50's and 70's Fury's, I far prefer the 67 and 68 style, with the 68 slightly more mainly because of the rear taillights. Just my opinion. If I was to get another, I would be equally happy with a 67 or 68. They are both great looking cars.​

Interesting thread. It has been my observation that we all tend to think our particular favorite model is the least popular or has the least availability.
When I am looking for Polaras I feel 71s and 70s are by far the most scarce though it probably isn't true.

My observations is that the most common of the C body Fury is the 65 and 66. Then the 67 / 68s then the 72s and 73s while 69 - 71s are the least available.

The Polara / Monacos, same thing. I do see a boat load of 63s and 64s . 67s and 68s probably next then the 65s and 6s. 72s and 73s along with the 69s then the 70s and 71s.

Not sure why That is but it's just my 35 year observation.

I have been away, and did not wish to come off as a hit and run poster. I really appreciated all of the comments and insights into why we like what we do and our perceptions of the collecting world. Someone was kind enough to ask to see an image of the 67 Fury III. Please find it attached. It came with its build sheet and service card and an image of the car taken years ago with the family dog. As far as we can tell it has not been messed with much and I have only replaced break components as needed. The accelerator pump on the carb needs to be rebuilt. But it goes. All the best Retroman.

3262A040-31E6-43DD-A7BC-A72DF48FF97C.jpeg

Back