Rear Ride Height

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
Anyone know what the proper ride height is for a '67 Imperial? The FSM says to measure carefully, and make sure the car is within 3/4" side to side, but doesn't say what the proper overall ride height should be.

Are you sure? It should or at least I'm pretty sure I've checked mine against the dimensions in my FSM. I know I checked my Challenger recently from its FSM.

The ride heigth spec should be in the FSM. The only adjustment for the rear, (aside from arching the spring or removing or adding leafs), is to adjust the torsion bars. Raising the right front will lower the left rear. etc.
It the front is level and the rear is not then there is likely an issue with the leaf springs. If so first disconnect the rear shocks at the bottom and check again.

Are you sure? It should or at least I'm pretty sure I've checked mine against the dimensions in my FSM. I know I checked my Challenger recently from its FSM.

Sure? No. Last night after I finished writing up the summary of work done, I browsed the FSM. The sections in the table of contents are Front Suspension, Rear Axle, and Springs and Shock Absorbers. In Springs and Shock Absorbers, there's a section on "Measuring Spring Height" on page 17-4, which tells you where to measure, and how much they should be off, but doesn't say what the proper setting would be. It's also not in the "specifications" section at the end of the chapter.

I've got air shocks (yeah, not proper, I know) that I'm using until I buy new spring packs. I'd like to know where it's supposed to ride for the time being.

I'm at work now, but unless anyone knows off hand where else in the manual it is, I guess I'll try to page through it some more this afternoon.

And by the way, are you guys kidding? Do you think I'd put up a question here without checking the FSM? What do you think I am? Stupid? Like ridicule? A slow learner?

:laughing6:

Here's the specs and how to for the front.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

That's the page I used to set the front. I looked for it for the rear end, or at least a simple table of ride heights, but I didn't see it.

But looking at that picture again, it reminds me about how nice it would be to have a drive-on lift or a pit, or something. Because it really sucks to wiggle in under the car and measure the height from the torsion bar collar to the ground while you're on your side and reaching out, and ... and...

This is where I get envious of you guys living in places with affordable space.

The rear was not adjustable from the factory so that info wouldn't be in the service manual.

Okay, I just spent some more time in the FSM. Rear axle seems to only be covering the differential, no spring or ride height stuff in there. (I didn't read it very closely, but it's interesting that Imperial has a separate set of instructions on some things. I would have thought the diff would be identical to other C-bodies.) I clicked on some other chapters, and none of their indexes seemed to offer anything that is relevant.

I don't see it in the general Lubrication and Maintenance section, either. If it's there, I'm totally missing it.

The rear was not adjustable from the factory so that info wouldn't be in the service manual.

Yeah, I get that, but I'm trying to figure out where it should sit. I would have thought there would be a spec somewhere that said, "if your springs are sagging more than this, they need to be re-arched or replaced."

I guess not.

Yeah, I get that, but I'm trying to figure out where it should sit. I would have thought there would be a spec somewhere that said, "if your springs are sagging more than this, they need to be re-arched or replaced."

I guess not.
You have to work backwards.
You get the front ride height correct first and that's your reference to gauge the rear ride height.

No, not backwards. I've set the front, per factory specs (http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...-1967-Imperial&p=147333&viewfull=1#post147333, It's at the bottom of the post).

Now I'm trying to figure out where the back end should sit. If the answer is, "look at old factory beauty shots" well, then I guess that's what I'll do. But I think they set the cars lower in those pics than the proper setting per the manual, so they would look lower and sleeker. But whatever. The answer is out there somewhere.

if you can find someone with the old crash repair manuals (mitchell,etc.) that should give you all of your reference points.

I couldn't locate a specific heigth spec in the FSM,
Section 23 covers in depth body to frame alignment. I suppose if you could get through the procedure it would tell you if anything is as it should be.

The only remaining recourse if the front is good and the rear differs more then the 3/4 inch recommendation is to repair or replace the leaf springs

The air shocks would worry me. Springs support weight ..... shocks absorb energy. If the air shocks were kept pumped up they would act like a jack hammer against the upper shock mount. Take a hard look at the mount/crossmember for signs of damage. And disconnect the shocks from the lower mounts before measuring anything.

The air shocks would worry me. Springs support weight ..... shocks absorb energy. If the air shocks were kept pumped up they would act like a jack hammer against the upper shock mount. Take a hard look at the mount/crossmember for signs of damage. And disconnect the shocks from the lower mounts before measuring anything.

Someone on the Imperial list offered up the same concern, and it's a good one. I'm going to look into it when I get home.

Back