Replacement Sway Bar links

nightman61

Reaction score
Good day everyone, Working on 1973 Newport. I purchased this car over a year ago, and have been working on front stabilizer bar. I replaced the bushings on the stabilizer links that hold the stabilizer in place. The links did not look to be the best. I drove the car a few miles, and tried to avoid the pot holes around my area. Well I did hit one, not to bad, but noticed when I got home, front end popped on one side. I looked underneath and one of the links had broken. It did look like someone had spot welded part of the link together, actually on both sides. The link is broken, but I have not been able to find anyone that makes them. I checked my 67 Newport, but the mounting is completely different on it. Anyone have a suggestion on replacements? This is the link that bolts to frame, drops down about 6 inches and has a square opening on the bottom for stabilizer bar, I have replacement bushings that go around sway bar and for mount to frame.
20240618_195258 (1).jpg

Might need to search the salvage yards for a complete front sway bar assy (with links attached).

Take care,
CBODY67

Might need to search the salvage yards for a complete front sway bar assy (with links attached).

Take care,
CBODY67
Thank you.. Only issue there is that all the local yards around me, don't have any older cars. I miss the days of roaming the yards with older cars. The ones I have been to don't have anything older than a 2000, and that's if your lucky. I think I'm gonna have to make a trip to Alabama. I remember seeing some nice salvage yards there a few years ago.

Take some pictures, take some measurements, and head to Carlisle in July. Also, those look identical to what I have on my '61 Newport. What changes on that style is the length of shaft from the base of the shaft at the "anchor", to the bottom washer perch. Also the same measurements can be found on some that are welded so as to retain the bushing, and some that are bolted in so as to accomplish the same purpose. Bushings are available. Send me your measurements, I think I have two oddball (leftover) links. They are different lengths but have the same attachment method. Best of luck.

Good day everyone, Working on 1973 Newport. I purchased this car over a year ago, and have been working on front stabilizer bar. I replaced the bushings on the stabilizer links that hold the stabilizer in place. The links did not look to be the best. I drove the car a few miles, and tried to avoid the pot holes around my area. Well I did hit one, not to bad, but noticed when I got home, front end popped on one side. I looked underneath and one of the links had broken. It did look like someone had spot welded part of the link together, actually on both sides. The link is broken, but I have not been able to find anyone that makes them. I checked my 67 Newport, but the mounting is completely different on it. Anyone have a suggestion on replacements? This is the link that bolts to frame, drops down about 6 inches and has a square opening on the bottom for stabilizer bar, I have replacement bushings that go around sway bar and for mount to frame. View attachment 666899

It looks like they are available from RockAuto. This looks like them. Look at the MEvotech brand at the bottom of the list.
1973 CHRYSLER NEWPORT 6.6L 400cid V8 Sway Bar Bushing | RockAuto
stabilizer bushings.jpg

thank you, I have the replacement bushings. My issue is that the actual links themselves (Metal parts), are broken and not usable.
Ah, I should have read more. I was excited to find the bushings. I have the same type on my 66 Dart.

Ah, I should have read more. I was excited to find the bushings. I have the same type on my 66 Dart.
I guess I’d try desert valley auto parts in phoenix. They have two main lots and they sort cars by brand so all Chryslers are in one spot. I have a ‘64 300 w/o sway bar. But my ‘63 New Yorker Salon has one that looks like that

Back