Restoring My 1968 Sport Fury convertible

Sport Fury in OZ

Reaction score
Hello

I have been restoring my car for a while and thought of posting a few shot of my progress.
I have a 1968 Sport Fury convertible built factory right hand drive and delivered to Australia. It lived in Sydney for a few years where it was said to be own by a pimp. It was use in an Australian movie. painted from green to blue then red. It was bought by a guy in Queanbeyan used as a daily driver for a while then sold to his cousin then to his sister and then back to the cousin and that is where I bought it in January 2012.

Here are the photos of the day I bought the car.

SDC13290.jpg

SDC13291.jpg

SDC13294.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting car. What engine, any fender tag or build sheet? Originally white? What plant was it built in?

It is a Canada build in the Ontario plant in March 1968. It has a 383 auto and was originally Avacardo Green Metallic. It has a fender tag. Here is the tag info

ENGINE: 383cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 8.25x14 Blue Sidewall
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: March 06.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Medium Green Metallic (Dodge), Avocado Green Metallic (Plymouth), Meadow Green Metallic (Chrysler, Imperial).
OTHER: Stripe Deleted.

MOLDINGS:
14: Sill Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings

Cheers Trevor

That will be a sharp car when you're done. Does it still have the original drivetrain? I'm guessing it does, I bet engines didn't get separated from the car in Oz like they do and did here.

Welcome aboard!

:sFl_america2:

Was it owned by this pimp? LOL!

Pimp.jpg

Ex-pimp car....that's classic. LOL. Can't wait to see it finished!

The Aussie C body Dodge Phoenixes sold from 1965 to 1971 were all Plymouth Fury cars sold with Dodge badging and Plymouths like the one above were special imports. With regards the Right Hand Drive versions the steering box mounts to the side of the chassis with three bolts through the side of the chassis frame, not like the american ones which have a special bracketry attached to the edge of the engine crossmember.
The first Phoenixes in Australia were the Dart models from 1960 to 1961 and were only available as a 318 automatic 4dr sedans. For 1962 through to 1964 they used the dodge B body 4dr sedans again with only the 318 automatic available.
Interestingly Chrysler Australia went all out in 1967 with the introduction of a 4 door pillarless model with a 383 2bbl option, this continued through to the end of 1971. On another note, when it came to the fuselage year cars beginning in 1969 there were only a "Limited Edition" run of only 400 each year for the last three years. SO few sold though that I have come across 1969 model cars with 1970 production plates attached to them and also some 1970 models with 1971 production plates. This explains why finding a 1971 model Phoenix is so hard to do as the numbers were filled out with left over 1970 model cars.

I still have the original drive train and I am in the process of rebuilding the engine. I am just waiting on a quote for the parts and then I will get it under way. Cheers Trevor

Hello Guys

I have had a great week end and have finished the paint on my car now for the refit.

Question : Which way around does the bonnet emblem sit with the 383 to the front or to the rear?

I was told to the rear so the driver can see it. Is this the correct way around as the emblem was missing from the car when I got it and the bonnet is of different modelAll painted.jpg.

Cheers Trevor

All painted.jpg

I don't want to stir up any trouble,,,

but I can see the '383' when im driving..

im gonna go look again right now to make sure im not lyin to you

Back