Sagging headliner massaging my bald spot !!

redd6054

Reaction score
Hi on my 1978 newport 2 door the red cloth has come unglued from the cardboard headliner and the cardboard itself has started to sag. Short of taking out the windshield to remove the headliner and fix it does anybody out there have any idea's how to fix this ? normally I wouldn't care but I do look silly and annoyed with the headliner resting on my head while driving around. almost like my noggin is holding up the headliner. If i had measurments of where the roorf ribs are I could almost put in a shallow screw or plug or something
cheers wolfgang

I'm sure there's a reason why cardboard was used, but it surely seems like a cheap option.

My 75 New Yorker 2Dr had a one piece board headliner. All the interior trim had to come out to remove the board in one piece, didn’t have to remove the windshield. However, that board is 40+ years old and more brittle than when new, so taking it out May break it. Short of removing it? I don’t know that there’s a viable option.

Is it falling just over the driver seat? Reason I ask if it’s only falling on the front left corner, you might be able to remove the trim, peel down the headliner material in the corner, spray with some 3M adhesive, lightly so it doesn’t soak through, and then reattach the headliner, smoothing with your hand..

Just a thought.. pics might help others for that visual effect..

My 75 New Yorker 2Dr had a one piece board headliner. All the interior trim had to come out to remove the board in one piece, didn’t have to remove the windshield. However, that board is 40+ years old and more brittle than when new, so taking it out May break it. Short of removing it? I don’t know that there’s a viable option.

Is it falling just over the driver seat? Reason I ask if it’s only falling on the front left corner, you might be able to remove the trim, peel down the headliner material in the corner, spray with some 3M adhesive, lightly so it doesn’t soak through, and then reattach the headliner, smoothing with your hand..

Just a thought.. pics might help others for that visual effect..
Yes, pictures please. I have a one piece headliner from a 1976 Newyorker coupe, and one from a 1977 Newport sedan. Dark red.

Just a thought, Mr. Redd6054!! Purchase one of traintech55’s headliners, have it covered then take yours out and install the new one..

Shipping something that big without it being damaged though could be a bit of a challenge..

I once had a 5th Ave that was doing this. I went to Menards and bought some 1 inch wide 1/4 inch thick wood trim strips cut them about 1.5 to 2 inches longer than the side frame above the door. Secure one end under one side trim then push the wood up against the headliner so it bows up and then tuck the other end under the trim on the other side. You can do it side to side or length ways depending on the trim you have. The pic below is not mine.

IMG_1092.jpeg

I used an open stapler when the headliner of my ‘78 Olds lost its grip. You can make beautiful patterns

Back