Saying goodbye to Dad

My deepest condolences. May your Father Rest In Peace and my you and your family grow ever closer With his memory.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. He is now home, we are not. Your faith will carry you through this . You & your family are in my prayers .

I'm glad you made it there with your family one last time. I'd be willing to bet that game of Who's the Stinker made him at least 50 years younger for a few minutes at least.

I'm fortunate to still have my folks and at 83 and 85, they are still in fairly good health. Even tho I can be in the kitchen I grew up in in 20 minutes, chances are when that inevitable call comes, I'll likely be on the road somewhere a 1000 miles away.

My biggest fear tho is that 2 days before that when I would have had the choice of that 20 minute drive or some other choice that didn't really matter, I will choose wrong.

My deepest sympathies to you and yours. I'll be thinking of you today on my 20 minute drive as will the rest of us I'm sure.

Kevin

Thanks for the trip update. Sometimes, timing is everything. Sometimes, too, everything happens "right", as it did in this case. Deepest condolences to you and your family.

CBODY67

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Those final visits are the ones that stand out even though there are so many memories, and I think they mean the most to the one leaving us. My wife’s dad passed away this week as well and fortunately she and her brother were at his side.

In life timing is everything.

Previously I started this thread about a trip to TX to see my Dad because of unknown health issues that suddenly came up. Trip tp TX to see Dad

Being born in 1930 put him a draft age when the the Korean conflict was getting fired up in 1950 he returned home to PA from CA and enlisted in the Air Force to side step being drafted into the Army. He was a bomber mechanic and spent a fair amount of his time stationed in the Philippines doing major repairs and upgrades.

He was an honest hard working man that toiled for all that he had and whose word could be solidly depended upon. There are too many things that I could share that I'll be missing as time moves on. From our last and final visit the thing that will stick with me for a long time is how his eyes widened and became bright as picked my 3 year old daughter up and placed her on the bed with him. The two of them had a running banter or fun loving little argument to determine who was the "stinker". It was so much fun to watch them banter back and forth.

In the last month old age and ill health had robbed him of his strength, but not of his sense of humor nor of his faith. My oldest sister was the last one to be with him and she said that he was at peace and sing to God prior to leaving him to get lunch. Before she got back he was gone. The family and I had stopped in that morning, Wednesday, to say our final good byes before heading for PA. I honestly didn't think he would be gone that quickly, certainly not that day.

I thought that I might be able to sneak in a long weekend visit in a month or two. It goes to show that non of us knows when our last day will be. Be sure that the ones you love know it without a doubt.
I am so sorry for your loss and wish you godspeed in getting past one of the saddest moments in every ones life. As time goes by you will find yourself missing him more and more - it never really goes away. If there's a light at the end of the tunnel, it's that this "goodbye" may only be temporary and you'll one day meet again in a far better place.

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and thoughts. It means a lot.

Dad and mom were married for 63 good years and raised 9 kids and half a dozen or more sisters, brothers and nephews and nieces. Like you, I grew up thinking Dad was the most honest, honorable man i ever knew, and still think that. We lost him in 2014 and Mom in 2017, and though they're gone, they will always be with us. I see them in my brothers and sisters, my daughter and my 6 grandkids every day.
My folks raised 9 kids also, I'm the youngest they had 58 years before my mother passed in 2013.

It was funny when cell phones became the norm. He never had one but would call my cell phone about every 50 miles when i drove home or back with the same question....."Where are you at now"? Lol. Focus on the great times that you shared with him......it helps a lot.
My Dad had a cell phone, but your story made me chuckle about him calling you on your trips. Always a parent.

Sorry for your loss John. I am very glad you got that last trip, stories like that make me wonder if it was strength of will or divine intervention that allowed that last visit with his grandchildren... maybe both. Those last moments can really stick with someone, even the little ones.

My condolences to you and your family.
I'd have to say both Jeff.

Sorry for your loss, my father was also a Korean War vet, he was drafted into the Army, also born in 1930, we lost him in March 2001. Not many left who fought in the forgotten war. My condolences, you'll never regret making the trip to TX the last time. I'm glad your whole family had the chance to say goodby. I'm sure it meant the world to him to be able to see everyone.
The first thing he told me was that he thought he wouldn't see me or the kids again. I told him that somethings are just so important that you make them happen.

So sorry John ... take heart until you see him again. View attachment 177188
Amen! I couldn't agree more.

I am so sorry for your loss and wish you godspeed in getting past one of the saddest moments in every ones life. As time goes by you will find yourself missing him more and more - it never really goes away. If there's a light at the end of the tunnel, it's that this "goodbye" may only be temporary and you'll one day meet again in a far better place.
Only temporary!

Thanks again to you all for allowing a place for people to be real.

It's hard losing our parents, they leave a hole that can never be filled..... cherish the memories and they do live on in us..... thoughts and prayers!!!

My condolences. Went through the same thing with my Dad in 06. They don't make them like that any more. I have my fond memories so I hope you will too.

He lived a good life of integrity and hard, honest work. And he prepared well for his next step in the journey. That is all that one could hope for in this life. I am confident from what you have described that the Lord will welcome him with open arms and say to him "job well done, my good and faithful servant". You can rest in that reality.

Sammie and I will be keeping you and your dad in our thoughts and prayers. I was hoping to hear a little better news when got back.
Keep the faith John! God Bless

Sorry to hear this, John. R.I.P. to your dad we will keep you in our thoughts. At least you had a good visit to keep with you. I can still remember my last conversation with my dad like it was yesterday.

Sorry to read about your loss. My dad was also a Korean war vet. He was a Seabee. Like you, I was fortunate to visit with him the weekend before he passed. Lost him to cancer in '95. It sounds like you know, it's not good by but "see ya later". We take comfort in that.

My condolences to you and your family. I am familiar with what you went through as my Dad is 17 days away from 92. Last week, all of a sudden, there were all these little problems kicking in. Antibiotics making him feel horrible. Family to be up the weekend of the 14th for a birthday gathering. Maybe meet his granddaughters fiancee but I am supposed to go to a funeral home tomorrow to set plans in motion...

My condolences to you and your family. I am familiar with what you went through as my Dad is 17 days away from 92. Last week, all of a sudden, there were all these little problems kicking in. Antibiotics making him feel horrible. Family to be up the weekend of the 14th for a birthday gathering. Maybe meet his granddaughters fiancee but I am supposed to go to a funeral home tomorrow to set plans in motion...
I'm so sorry to hear that.

In life timing is everything.

Previously I started this thread about a trip to TX to see my Dad because of unknown health issues that suddenly came up. Trip tp TX to see Dad

Being born in 1930 put him a draft age when the the Korean conflict was getting fired up in 1950 he returned home to PA from CA and enlisted in the Air Force to side step being drafted into the Army. He was a bomber mechanic and spent a fair amount of his time stationed in the Philippines doing major repairs and upgrades.

He was an honest hard working man that toiled for all that he had and whose word could be solidly depended upon. There are too many things that I could share that I'll be missing as time moves on. From our last and final visit the thing that will stick with me for a long time is how his eyes widened and became bright as picked my 3 year old daughter up and placed her on the bed with him. The two of them had a running banter or fun loving little argument to determine who was the "stinker". It was so much fun to watch them banter back and forth.

In the last month old age and ill health had robbed him of his strength, but not of his sense of humor nor of his faith. My oldest sister was the last one to be with him and she said that he was at peace and sing to God prior to leaving him to get lunch. Before she got back he was gone. The family and I had stopped in that morning, Wednesday, to say our final good byes before heading for PA. I honestly didn't think he would be gone that quickly, certainly not that day.

I thought that I might be able to sneak in a long weekend visit in a month or two. It goes to show that non of us knows when our last day will be. Be sure that the ones you love know it without a doubt.

John: Very sorry to hear your dad has passed on to the other side. Seems like maybe he was waiting for your visit. . . I am so glad you were there in time. Our thoughts, support and prayers go out to you and your family.

Back