Sharing my latest trial modification for true cold air intake

HOT FURY

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share my latest trial mod in case anyone else has thought about something similar. Getting ready to drop my stroker motor in that has a Holley TB fuel injection. I know hood clearance may be an issue so I wanted to move my air intake away from the hood and limit clearance issues above the throttle body. Bought a Spectre performance intake plenum and made an aluminum cold air intake box that will mount where the battery sits. I was planning on moving the battery to the trunk anyways to get it away from the heat. Cold air box is at the powder coater right now, I will update with tube routing once I get it back. I put it where the battery is to utilize a 4"x3" opening already in the body panel where the radiator mounts behind where the battery sits. Fingers crossed but looks like there should be no issues I haven't taken into account. Pics posted were before I cut out the incoming air side of the box. Will update further soon with more pics if anyone interested.

IMG_7033.jpeg

IMG_7034.jpeg

Mine is much simpler but then again my air filter is on the engine so I don't have to have the box.

1727450042931.png

Are you going to add a way to drain water from it in case you drive it in the rain?
I drilled a small hole in the bottom prior to taking to get powder coated for that purpose but where the intake is there shouldn't be much of an issue with that even in a bad downpour

cool idea..., curious, is there an advantage to the box rather than routing a tube / tunnel directly to the opening in the rad support?
mostly aesthetics other than not placing the filter itself directly in the path of any incoming rocks & debris going through the grill

cool idea..., curious, is there an advantage to the box rather than routing a tube / tunnel directly to the opening in the rad support?
I want to fabricate a mesh screen for the opening. Not so much for debris coming in but to keep the mice out during winter storage. lol

Maybe one advantage would be slightly cooler air in front of the rad support?

I want to fabricate a mesh screen for the opening. Not so much for debris coming in but to keep the mice out during winter storage. lol

Maybe one advantage would be slightly cooler air in front of the rad support?
lol luckily where I'm at in AZ I have no concerns about mice or rats getting in, rattlesnake or gila monster maybe tho!:lol:

Back