SOTU

I don't know how you "get money out of politics", every solution I've seen is flawed. However my mind is open.

Below is from a chapter of a book I'm working on... Frankly I believe this nation has gone too long without some good ol' fashioned Teddy Roosevelt style trust-busting. This would go a long way towards our shared goals. Names come to mind in computers, communication, mechanidising, and yes, energy.

Most relevant portions highlighted.
-----

These cartels (or “trusts” in a more American parlance) are nothing new. In Europe, shipping monopolies along silk and spice routes predate the founding of the United States...

...trusts are a combination of companies that dominate an industry, (il)legally bound together by a board of trustees, they exert control through stock ownership in each participating company. In the most famous example, J.D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil Corporation used its stock ownership in railroads to obtain preferential transportation rates. It owned percentages of companies that manufactured drilling equipment. It had ownership in steel companies that supplied the drilling equipment makers, etc. In any step required to extract oil from the ground, until a refined product was purchased by the consumer, the Standard Oil Company of the early 20th century had an interest. The resulting savings (and other forms of preferential treatment) forced competitors to either join the Standard Oil trust, or leave the business. Eventually Standard Oil controlled 90-percent of the U.S. oil industry and was able to dictate the price of crude and refined petroleum throughout the nation. After the break-up of the company was upheld by the Supreme Court, the Standard Oil trust was split into 40 mid-sized corporations that would have otherwise been in competition with each other, if not for the conspiracy.

The United States has a pioneering history of breaking-up trusts. I would suggest it has roots in our rebellious spirit against even benevolent or efficient dictatorships. On a federal level, our history begins with the Sherman Anti-Trust act of 1890. The press of the day was filled with condemnation of such trusts. How could any good American defend granting such dictatorial power over commerce in a free and democratic nation? The old-world was made of cartels that discouraged competition and America would be the first to grant freedom from this form of economic tyranny. Or at least it would attempt this feat.

The rest of the industrialized world generally does not share this sense of individualism, especially if a monopoly makes their industrial concerns stronger in the face of foreign competition. Multi-national companies have learned to create monopolies in nations that do not suffer this uniquely-American sense of outrage at even beneficial cartels.

Borderless companies soon learned how to use patent pools, rather than actual ownership, as a means to block unwanted competition from abroad. In the electronics industry of the early to mid-20th century, shared patents took the place of the trust-era’s stock certificates.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1517795256422.jpg

Watched S1, E1-3. I laughed. I cried. I'm hooked.
I knew it. The more I watch of it the more I love it and somehow I knew you would too. It’s really well written and acted and just plain effin’ funny.

I've watched the entire run a couple of times. Most of it reflects my family in Milwaukee for real.

BTW.....Shameless will be back for another season later this year.

I don't know how you "get money out of politics", every solution I've seen is flawed. However my mind is open.

The process has to start at the state level I believe. At the Federal level politicians behave as if they're some untouchable entity. In fact I'd go so far as to say they collude with their ranks and across party isles to ensure things like term limits and lobbyist reform never see the light of day.

CO passed an amendment while I was still a resident that no official can accept anything in value greater than $50 in aggregate in a calendar year. I believe if memory serves me it applies to college tuition for children and grandchildren as well as debt.

The same thing could be for the US representatives at the state level including limiting terms. If it's illegal in the state, i.e. your name can't appear on a ballot for US congress or senate more than so many times the state has effectively limited their term.

Below is from a chapter of a book I'm working on... Frankly I believe this nation has gone too long without some good ol' fashioned Teddy Roosevelt style trust-busting. This would go a long way towards our shared goals. Names come to mind in computers, communication, mechanidising, and yes, energy.

Most relevant portions highlighted.
-----

These cartels (or “trusts” in a more American parlance) are nothing new. In Europe, shipping monopolies along silk and spice routes predate the founding of the United States...

...trusts are a combination of companies that dominate an industry, (il)legally bound together by a board of trustees, they exert control through stock ownership in each participating company. In the most famous example, J.D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil Corporation used its stock ownership in railroads to obtain preferential transportation rates. It owned percentages of companies that manufactured drilling equipment. It had ownership in steel companies that supplied the drilling equipment makers, etc. In any step required to extract oil from the ground, until a refined product was purchased by the consumer, the Standard Oil Company of the early 20th century had an interest. The resulting savings (and other forms of preferential treatment) forced competitors to either join the Standard Oil trust, or leave the business. Eventually Standard Oil controlled 90-percent of the U.S. oil industry and was able to dictate the price of crude and refined petroleum throughout the nation. After the break-up of the company was upheld by the Supreme Court, the Standard Oil trust was split into 40 mid-sized corporations that would have otherwise been in competition with each other, if not for the conspiracy.

The United States has a pioneering history of breaking-up trusts. I would suggest it has roots in our rebellious spirit against even benevolent or efficient dictatorships. On a federal level, our history begins with the Sherman Anti-Trust act of 1890. The press of the day was filled with condemnation of such trusts. How could any good American defend granting such dictatorial power over commerce in a free and democratic nation? The old-world was made of cartels that discouraged competition and America would be the first to grant freedom from this form of economic tyranny. Or at least it would attempt this feat.

The rest of the industrialized world generally does not share this sense of individualism, especially if a monopoly makes their industrial concerns stronger in the face of foreign competition. Multi-national companies have learned to create monopolies in nations that do not suffer this uniquely-American sense of outrage at even beneficial cartels.

Borderless companies soon learned how to use patent pools, rather than actual ownership, as a means to block unwanted competition from abroad. In the electronics industry of the early to mid-20th century, shared patents took the place of the trust-era’s stock certificates.

One consistent thing I see in all of your responses which I don't read anymore:

You've got a lot of free time.

Kind of like a very stable genius.

John

One consistent thing I see in all of your responses which I don't read anymore:

You've got a lot of free time.

Kind of like a very stable genius.

John

I would like you to reflect on the purpose of that comment.

No need.

Projection is an art.

John

That's too bad. You might have come to the same conclusion I did... That you really have nothing of value to add; can't even make a counterpoint, so you'll try and take a shot at my "free time". Projection indeed.

That's too bad. You might have come to the same conclusion I did... That you really have nothing of value to add; can't even make a counterpoint, so you'll try and take a shot at my "free time". Projection indeed.

So easily drawn down a rabbit hole lined with mirrors.

No more challenge here.

Enjoy your day.

Back