Spindles!

Charlest

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 67 300, but I am have a massive issue. The car is an original disc brake car, but it is missing the calipers, which I have come to find are made of unobtanium. The car, when finished, will be my daughters first car and so I would really love to make sure that it has disc brakes. I do know that there are lots of disc brake conversion kits on the market, and any suggestions about a good supplier would be greatly appreciated, but they only make the kits for the drum brake spindles. I am hoping that someone here has a line on where I can get a set up drum spindles because I can't seem to find those either (by the way drop spindles would be totally over the top and I would be willing to name my next child after anyone that knows where I can get a set of those!). Thank you all so much for your help, I truly appreciate it.

Thanks
Charles

Contact this guy. He knows more about Mopar brakes than anyone I have met. He rebuilds parts and sells conversion kits. I'm sure he can help. He has a bunch of youtube videos also. He may even have stock replacement calipers.

Use caution, he is a hot head that goes off on people at Carlisle, and for the whole world to see.

Should be too difficult to find drum brake spindles. You don't see them in for sale ads because they are not a part that will sell very well.

Just run a wanted ad and see what happens. Many people have parts and parts cars.

Yeah I just left him a message and the answering machine has quite the message on it. Good idea about the wanted ad, thank you.

Use caution, he is a hot head that goes off on people at Carlisle, and for the whole world to see.
Really? I have only ever dealt with him online or over the phone. Never had an issue. Been a few years since then.

Really? I have only ever dealt with him online or over the phone. Never had an issue. Been a few years since then.
He had a number of YouTube videos where he told everyone about certain customers that he had a hard time with. IMHO, extremely unprofessional and he probably lost more sales because of it. The videos were down the last time I looked... and I wouldn't post one if I did find one.

He does have some knowledge... There's a couple videos where this knowledge comes across. His video on proportioning valves is a "must see".

He had a number of YouTube videos where he told everyone about certain customers that he had a hard time with. IMHO, extremely unprofessional and he probably lost more sales because of it. The videos were down the last time I looked... and I wouldn't post one if I did find one.

He does have some knowledge... There's a couple videos where this knowledge comes across. His video on proportioning valves is a "must see".
Wow. I wonder what changed with this guy. A few years ago when I was doing the brakes on the fury his videos were very helpful and when I talked with him on the phone about rebuilding my calipers he actually said he could do them but based on my experience I should do them myself so I just ordered the kits from him and everything went fine. Like I said before I have not dealt with him for a few years so I guess I should stop plugging his site if people are not getting good service.

The car sat in a junk yard in the southwest for at least 20 years, so every piece of the suspension is going to need to be replaced, including the ball joints. How much do you want for the spindles?

Wow. I wonder what changed with this guy. A few years ago when I was doing the brakes on the fury his videos were very helpful and when I talked with him on the phone about rebuilding my calipers he actually said he could do them but based on my experience I should do them myself so I just ordered the kits from him and everything went fine. Like I said before I have not dealt with him for a few years so I guess I should stop plugging his site if people are not getting good service.
If I hear back from him, I will let you know how it goes.

This one?

Before you do anything, you should check to see if the lower ball joints are bad. Most likely they are, unless someone has already replaced them or the car has real low miles.

Your lower ball joints are disc brake only and will need to be rebuilt for around $300 a side. If this is the case, you're way better off switching over to factory 1969-'73 disc brakes.

There is an official procedure for correctly inspecting the lower ball joints.

Next up would be to measure the thickness of the rotors. If they've been turned down too much you're looking at another $200 or so a side, maybe more.

I have plenty of Budd caliper cores if you decide to go that route.

Jeff

So, not to totally highjack this thread, but has anyone started a list / matrix on what is the same and what is different on the disc brake components from 1967 / 1968 (not sure of the start year) and the progression to 1969 -1973? And what was different between Imperials and the C-bodies, through the years. Spindles, calipers, rotors....? I guess I could start with the parts manuals but if someone has already gathered this info it would be great to find it and re-cycle. I find a lot of opinions which are difficult to sort from the facts in my searches.

For someone who mentioned that Wayne a.k.a “ the Ram Man”—- “ a johnny come lately “ with limited knowledge and no prior experience —- and hundreds of people that want to kill him already for his unscrupulous business practices —- has value !!! —- actually —- very little value, if any, to our world, truth be told….

I have denied his asking to “ pick my brain “ any longer , ask me hundreds of questions in a language that I simply can’t translate or understand… and I dare say my left pinky toe has more knowledge, not to be condescending , but I frequently and willingly share my knowledge and 54 years of experience with you all ( not “ y’all now, y’hear “ ) LOL !!!
Craig….

Last edited:
So, not to totally highjack this thread, but has anyone started a list / matrix on what is the same and what is different on the disc brake components from 1967 / 1968 (not sure of the start year) and the progression to 1969 -1973? And what was different between Imperials and the C-bodies, through the years. Spindles, calipers, rotors....? I guess I could start with the parts manuals but if someone has already gathered this info it would be great to find it and re-cycle. I find a lot of opinions which are difficult to sort from the facts in my searches.

That's not a bad idea. There's quite a few frequently asked questions that could be turned into "sticky" guides. For some things, especially relating to the '67-'73 Imperials, I don't think we know all the answers at this time. Rotors are a big issue for the late '69-'73 cars, though I just saw a post somewhere saying you could use ealy 70's GM rotors on them. More research will need to be done, but possibly a project for the winter if I can find some time.

Jeff

I'll give the basics.. but I don't know much on imperial. 1966-1968 Dodge Chrysler Plymouth c body with disc brakes from factory were 4 piston Budd brakes. The spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers and lower ball joints were unique to the budd system. They do not interchange with the later 69-73 c body disc brake cars. The imperial used the same rotors and calipers as the c body Budd brakes but again I'm unsure on the years it started and ended for imperial. The 69-73 c body disc brake cars used the common drum 2 bolt lower ball joints from 65-73 and 69-73 all used the same 1 piston sliding calipers. The disc brake spindles are identical from 69-72 and used a 2 piece rotor until 73. The 73 is the most desirable for parts availability and 1 piece rotors. All 1965-1973 c bodys whether disc or drum used the same upper and lower control arms.

Back