Steer Gear Recommendations Wanted

crazyboutwagons

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the power steering box in my 68 Plymouth Fury Sport Suburban wagon as it's leaking profusely all over garage fLoor and after a 100 mile or so trip have to stop & fill the reservior .I checked with Firm Feel and they are 3 months out can't wait that long. I called and talked to Steer Geer in Columbus,Oh this morning they have the correct box in stock & refurbished pitman arm. Has anyone here have any experience with them. Comments would be apprecated.

I had a good experience with Steer and Gear. They rebuilt the unit in the 'Party Barge' ('65 Newport). They have different levels of rebuild depending on what your goals are. I chose a more modern (think Challenger) version and am extremely pleased with the results.
Omni

I was very happy with a BBB reman steering gear I bought for our 66 Newport 6 yrs ago. It never lost a drop of fluid and worked perfectly up to the day the car was wrecked. Like you, I simply HAD TO STOP AA LEAK THAT BECAME A CAR-STOPPING ISSUE. I plan to re-install that same box in our '68 this Fall. If I have extra $$, I'll get the old leaky one rebuilt too.

I ordered a power steering box from Steer & Gear their item #2040 & a new pitman arm. The box has what they refer to as modern steering feel which is awesome car now tracks straight as an arrow and no more wandering and having to constantly be correcting the wheel.. I highly recommend them to anyone considering replacing their old worn-out steering box i also had my mechanic rebuild the steering coupler also. Car is a pleasure to drive.

I ordered a power steering box from Steer & Gear their item #2040 & a new pitman arm. The box has what they refer to as modern steering feel which is awesome car now tracks straight as an arrow and no more wandering and having to constantly be correcting the wheel.. I highly recommend them to anyone considering replacing their old worn-out steering box i also had my mechanic rebuild the steering coupler also. Car is a pleasure to drive.

Hmmm, I looked and see that they offer the traditional pinky finger steering I treasure on our old rides. I reckon for half a G, they ought to sell a good product. I never minded correcting SLIGHT wandering from any 1960-79 landboat, and am so used to it that driving modern cars bugs me. Of course, I've NEVER BOUGHT ANYTHING MADE AFTER 1976 until I bought one shitty 1987 Olds, which, after being obligingly totaled by one of the bippies living in this Barriom we got out '66 Newport. To wit: I've driven naught BUT pinky-steering since my mid-teens and can handle them very well. Driving damn modern rentals for my job last Fall through this summer SUCKED! No pleasure.

But, in your case, I rejoice for you, and thank you for turning us on to this source!

I have the steer & gear box installed in the wagon it's a totally different car now on the road .The steering is more precise & car n longer wanders all over.I went with the modern feel .Also bought new pitman arm from them .All in price was $625.00.Did not want to wait on Firm Feel waiting list of 3 months.
highly recommend Steer & Gear family owned business & a pleasure to deal with

Back