Steering Box/Coupler alignment questions

D Cluley

Reaction score
Checking off some small projects this week on my '65 Chrysler and thought I would replace the rubber coupling in the steering shaft. Should be simple, right? :rolleyes:

Instead, I've noticed two things which may or may not be problems, and may be related?

First, the steering box & its shaft are not aligned straight with the upper shaft in the column. Is this normal, or does something need to be moved. The steering column seems to be straight, and the box is definitely at an angle to the center line of the car (note the relationship to the torsion bar below it). Looking in the FSM, there is a whole complicated procedure for aligning the box on an Imperial, but for Chrysler it just says to tighten the 3 mounting bolts, so that implies a lack of adjustment?

I do know that the bolts don't go like that between the shafts, I just did that to hold the flanges together for the picture.

IMG_20240802_211458577.jpg

crooked steering box b.jpg

Potentially more concerning is that the coupler flange on the lower shaft is a little bit loose. I does not turn on the splines, but has definite movement in and out on the shaft & a sideways wobble. You can see the gaps in these two pictures.

loose coupler a.jpg

loose coupler b.jpg

I am assuming that this is not supposed to loose?

If that is the case, is there any reason not to take it to a shop & get it welded to the shaft?

Back