Steering column gearshifting from park to neutral without pulling the lever?

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This pertains to my '67 Monaco.

Are you supposed to be able to move the gearshift lever back and forth from Park to Reverse to Neutral and back to Reverse and then back to Park all without pulling the lever towards you? If the lever is supposed to lock in any of those positions but it doesn't, where is the adjustment for that?

No adjustment. A "gate" is screwed onto the inner section of the shift bowl on the column. If lakd flat, it is a long rectangular piece of meta, maybe 2" long by 3/8" wide? With a curve so it will match the shift bowl's area where it is mounted.

From P, pull lever toward the driver and then move it down to R, which will let the lever move a bit forward at the same time. Then more forward as it is moved to N, with the same orientation for D, where it stops. The pull forward a bit for "2" and a bit more for"1".

Might need to get an expanded illustration of the steering column in the Chrysler Parts Manual, to find where the piece is.

The "gate" is not a wear part of the column, like a bearing would be, so it is very seldom replaced, if ever. Never shows any wear, by observation.

CBODY67

Yea, the manual has the diagram:

shift-lever-gate.JPG

But doesn't have a trouble-shooting section for this, where a symptom or observation is described along with the fix.

I took the column out when I changed the front stub. The column is back in, it's connected back to the steering gear, it's bolted up to the underside of the dash, I've re-connected the trans shift linkage, but something doesn't seem right about how it moves between park to neutral.

From a '67 master tech video:

gating.jpg

Last edited:
there should be a spring in there that pushes against the base of the lever...i've seen a couple of them break...or a broken one may have been replaced by something weaker and wont hold the lever against the detents

Can the arm and spring be removed and reinstalled from the bowl without having to take the bowl off the column?

Back