Steering coupler /Rag joint

santts

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Are these rubber steering coupler/Rag joints a big deal to change? If not wheres a good place to find one?. Thanks
1000009097.jpg

You didn't say what year or model. Assuming it's a late 60's/early 70's C body, buy a Lares 220. Rock Auto has them.

Don
't waste your $$ on an NOS that will fall apart due to old rubber.

You didn't say what year or model. Assuming it's a late 60's/early 70's C body, buy a Lares 220. Rock Auto has them.

Don
't waste your $$ on an NOS that will fall apart due to old rubber.
Thanks. I understand there was a steel cover over these Rag joints. Any idea where to locate one ? Thanks

Thanks. I understand there was a steel cover over these Rag joints. Any idea where to locate one ? Thanks
That is correct.

No one I know of makes a reproduction, so you have to find used. Put an ad in the wanted section.

Do you need hardware when you change joint ? Also do you have to take off shaft. ?

Thanks never done one
Yes, disconnect the wring at the plug under the column. Remove the spring pin on the coupler, the bolts holding the plate to the floor and the 3 nuts holding the shaft up.

The shaft should then separate at the lower coupler from the steering box and slide off the spline.

I don't have a great pic of mine, but this should give you an idea of what comes out of the car.

qaobgen.jpg

Note the master spline on the coupler. You'll need to align that when it goes back together.

xmnCGnq.jpg

I suggest you mark how it came apart so you don't end up with an upside down steering wheel after.

ikkj55o.jpg

Thanks looks like I got work to do. Was hoping to just undo joint but that would be to easy haha.
You might be able to, but honestly, I think it will be a lot easier with the shaft out and you can rebuild or at least repack the grease in the coupler while it's a apart.

Steering Coupler Rebuild "How To"

I did mine this summer without pulling the column out.

Loosen the 4 bolts that go into the "hockey puck"

Undo the bolts on the floor inside the car that hold the sort of triangle piece at the base of the column where it goes through the floor.

Sit in the drivers seat and pull on the steering wheel, it only needs to come out a little bit (maybe 1/4-1/2")

That should give you enough slack to remove the "hockey puck" and install the new one.

With the "hockey puck" out there should be enough room to pull the lower part of the shaft out and rebuild or at least re grease the lower coupler. (The square metal one connected to the steering box)

Good news is a '65 should have a bolt head screw holding that coupler on rather than the roll pin that has to be driven out like the later cars have.

Back