Swapping Stub Frames - Advice

MattfromMaine

Reaction score
Hi all,

FINALLY getting to swapping out the old, rotted stub with a replacement. If you followed my thread a few years ago (COVID Chrysler), two things the automotive students were doing was rebuilding my brakes w/ new lines and installing a new front suspension kit.

Now, I'm looking to swap everything over. My question; are there any shortcuts I can take since the suspension has been rebuilt? I'm looking to take as little apart as possible and bolt it right onto the new stubframe. If anyone has any time/ work saving tips due to having new suspension components installed, I'd appreciate it!

I recently did this on my 67 Barracuda, essentially the same idea.
Remove the sway bar.
Loosen the t-bar adjusting bolts and remove t-bars, unbolt the lower control arms and struts (at the frame).
Being a c-body you can't unbolt the lower ball joint and leave the upper control arm in the car preserving the alignment (like shown here). So you will have to unbolt the upper control arms.
My swap needed a different idler arm so I didn't remove it, just unbolt it along with the steering gear.
Once you have everything unbolted you should be able to wiggle it apart. Again this was an a-body.
2024-06-02_032.jpg

Alan

Funny. I am sitting on my frame now looking at the parts mounted.

1. Disconnect steering linkage meaning…idler arm at frame and tie rods at ball joints. Remove steering linkage as a whole unit.

2. unbolt the upper and lower control arms from the frame. Disconnect shock at lower control arm. Then strut. Now you can remove driver and passenger side assembly as a whole unit. Then remove shock from frame.

As for the frame, no real short cut. Honestly I would remove entire frame, engine, trans, and wheel assembly together and roll it out before doing what is noted above. Simply disconnect draft shaft from transmission, then remove side screws at window trim at windshield and carefully pop it off, remove cowl, hood torsion springs, detach bumper, nose, fenders, battery tray, disconnect steering shaft from pump, disconnect trans cooling lines and radiator. Roll it out with motor and transmission. Now you have a model for reinstalling a new stub frame.

In addition to the factory service manual, there are many posts on FCBO on this topic with photos. They are excellent and have been a great reference for me.

Good luck!

IMG_1857.jpeg

IMG_1858.jpeg

IMG_1859.jpeg

IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1864.jpeg

Wow. I can't thank you guys enough for the guidance.

Going out to turn some wrenches. The '72 will be on the road soon!

Back