Testing radio question

GOLDMYN

Reaction score
1971 Newport, I purchased an am/fm radio from 71 newyorker, going to test before install, red wire to positive post on battery out of car. but no ground? is that correct, I see a black wire but its grouped with speaker, any comments ?

DSC07823.JPG

DSC07822.JPG

Last edited:
Grounded through case. A good place to attach a ground wire would be that gold colored nut on the back for the bracket, which is probably where the radio was grounded while in the car.

Also make sure you have the correct speaker attached before you power it up, could damage the internals without it.

Yeah, they're in a rusted hulk in calif, I suppose i can get them ($$$) sent and rebuilt, I did get the front to back control with the small wheel

DSC07826.JPG

If you are looking for somewhat of an upgrade and decent sound there is another thread on here that uses two small speakers on a custom mount to fit into the dash opening. I think the mount is nothing more than a thin piece of plywood cut to fit the dash with holes cut out to fit the small speakers. But, finding small speakers with the correct rating for the original radio might be a challenge. I'm doing mine right now and since I don't listen to the radio much I just wanted something functional so I repaired the cone in my original with flexible glue. I only have one dash speaker and then another in the rear seat. It actually sounded pretty good.

Thanks for the option, I'll go with the original stuff, I'll see what I get, there were 2 grills in the back so this was 3 speaker radio

If you are looking for somewhat of an upgrade and decent sound there is another thread on here that uses two small speakers on a custom mount to fit into the dash opening. I think the mount is nothing more than a thin piece of plywood cut to fit the dash with holes cut out to fit the small speakers. But, finding small speakers with the correct rating for the original radio might be a challenge. I'm doing mine right now and since I don't listen to the radio much I just wanted something functional so I repaired the cone in my original with flexible glue. I only have one dash speaker and then another in the rear seat. It actually sounded pretty good.
I've been thinking, Why do I need a speaker hooked up, just to see if the unit powers up?

I've been thinking, Why do I need a speaker hooked up, just to see if the unit powers up?
How else are you going to tell if it powers up? You have to be able to at least hear some static.

Here's the deal with speaker impedance (ohm rating). Most home stereo uses 4 ohm speakers, most original car radios use 8 ohm. In a perfect world, you use an 8 ohm speaker with your radio. If you just had two 4 ohm speakers, you could hook them in series and come up with 8 ohms. BTW, if you hook them in parallel, it drops to 2 ohms, but I digress.

So... The best way is about any car radio speaker to try your radio. I'll even say this, if you should only have a 4 ohm speaker, you could get away with trying it... Just don't run it very long or at high volume. It is best to use an 8 ohm speaker though.

That said, it's been my experience that a 50+ year old radio usually doesn't work very well and it would not surprise me at all if this powered up, played some music etc. and then either died after installing or the tuner and/or volume drifts so much that you have to adjust the radio every couple minutes. The radio in my 300L is like that. I've been sending radios to Aurora FMR Stereo Conversion . Yea, not the cheapest option, but I think it's the best option. Two of my cars have Aurora converted radios and they work great. My 300L radio will get shipped down there when the snow flies.

I appreciate your time, I've got these speaker which I used with my super turner, they're rated @10, only issue, they only have 2 wires. no black ground

DSC07830.JPG

DSC07827.JPG

I've got these speaker which I used with my super turner, they're rated @10, only issue, they only have 2 wires. no black ground
On the pic of the speaker, you see "Impedance 4 Ω" . That means the impedance of that speaker is 4 ohms.

You don't need to ground speakers. There are two wires, a positive and negative. To just test the radio, all you need to do is connect those two wires to your speaker wires. It really won't make any difference if you switch the two wires for testing. Once in the car, you do need to get the polarity correct to get the best sound.

Any chance you have two of those Pioneer speakers? I can show you how to hook it up in series to get 8 ohms if you do.

Back