The Admiral's getting paint.

you guys can't see the forest for the trees. look at how this thread started. a full scale restoration of a small block fury station wagon? look at the attention this is getting. five years ago no one would have cared at all. but now? all this stuff is getting much hotter, not colder! for the older stuff, has anyone here priced a T or A lately? twenty grand for a model A? maybe kids are doing ricers because '69 camaros are getting more money than i paid for my house. ya your right. this stuffs dying out. the demands just not there. SG

Kids are doing ricers because it's what is cool while they're growing up. Just like we are into what we grew up with.

In a conversation with a young guy,( maybe 20) at a local car show this past summer. He had a suburb whatever that sounded li,e a fart. He said he would much prefer to have our stuff to work on, but just not affordable. I am sure if he were talking mopar he meant the A or B body, but still, he would prefer them to the rice burner.
The big c bodies were never meant for the young crowd. Now, take a minute, get your mind set that you know nothing about old cars and go read the for sale threads.

Seeing Will's wagon at Garlits was the first time being around a full size 70's wagon in quite a while, man that thing is big.

Using it as intended to pull an old trailer around is about as cool as it gets.

Once the new paint is done, that rig will look like a time capsule going down the road.

I bet Will and Ellie and their retro camper package make people smile ear to ear, all day long going down the road.

Can't wait to see the after pics.

As the ratio of white to non-white changes to the non-white becoming the ever larger majority in the younger population in America, there is an ever decreasing interest in the traditional American Iron of this country's past.
Now, the majority of younger people here weren't brought up on what we were brought up on. Their parents were brought up on Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas so it goes to figure they identify with these cars more.

at 90 years old we won't even want to go to any car shows. QUOTE]

If I get to 90, I'll be happy to go to the bathroom.....

This site kind of dispels the theory of "collect what you remember from your youth". Most of the guys here that were active car guys back in the 60's & 70's were owners seeking the supercars of the era. B bodys & E bodys. Including me. With age comes wisdom, (so I've heard), and now we are passionate about our big C bodys. Somewhere along the line we reached an epiphany and the clunky, rough riding, overpriced supercars lost some of there appeal.
Sure, we all wish for a 68 Charger R/T, or a 69 GTX or Super Bee. But they have falling down the list behind our 300's, Polara's and SFGT's

I see some still think that since they know a few young guys who like our cars that makes a trend. Also some still see things through the 2015 prism and not the 2035 prism. The world now changes at a pace far faster than many can comprehend. Took me awhile to learn and deal with that. That being said I have chosen to stick with some older ways to do things even though the newer tech does it faster and smoother. I grew up with the older way and can morph between the two if I want. However, I am a minority as a greater and greater number only know the new tech. I chose to live my life with less tech but my desire is fading like the dinosaurs.

I am quite sure there are many here who talk about how our cars will last into the future yet who have abandoned other tech, from a similar time frame, because it was easier and quicker to go new tech. In fact I know there is although they may not truly realize it unless pointed out. In 2035 cars will have so much technology in them, even if not self driven, and 99% of buyers will want that and want nothing less. Cars will have technology in them that might be right up there with the F-22 Raptor in it's sensor capabilities. Our cars will be equivalent to no more than an F-86 from Korea and no pilot today wants to fly the F-86 in combat.

What I have been thinking...

Okay time for me to step in as resident C body young guy...............You guys are about 50% of the current car trends, sorry fella's, but you ARE out of touch a BIT, When was the last time you guys rolled with the College car clubs? The Current trends are a mix of 50/50, half the kids if you will, are growing to hate Rice and going after oddball Domestic's, why because none of us can afford what your age group covets, we don't have $50,000 to drop on a hobby car, however we do have $2,000-5,000, hey look thats C body range...........The other half like their rice, and thats fine, because they still appreciate the guys like me, I belong to a College car club, there are lots of Ricers, lots of Domestic Fullsize pickups (someone touched on the Diesel truck trend....), lots of Guys with 4 door V8 Fullsizes, lots of guys with V8 coupe's................off the top of my head there's me with the '73, my buddy with his '85 Caprice, another guy with a '75 capri II, there's a guy with a '84 cutlass supreme, another guy with an older LTD..............Regardless of what they have, when one of these old beaters comes out to a meeting, Everyone wants to know all about them, why? They don't really know anything about them, but to them, its a "Cool old car" they appreciate it....................it may not be their taste, but they appreciate the car for what it is................I wish I could say the same about your generations fella's.............the only negative comments I've ever overheard (at cruisenights I don't hover over my car, I like looking at the other cars, I can look at mine anytime I want) were from your generations..................things like "Why would anyone bother with a C body....."..............."I thought of these became donors".........."It has 4 doors, why in the hell would anyone want to bother with doing all this work to it".............................and many more...............Yet I see them with A body's, B body's, Mustangs ('64.5-'70 style mostly), GM a body's (GTO, Chevelle etc), old trucks (think 50's chev and ford), and generic over played, overdone, boring crap like that...............

As for Patina, not everyone can afford a nice paintjob, I'm one of them, My '73 needs paint bad................eventually I'll get there, I don't care how it looks, I'd rather have a good running solid driving car, then a shinny, pretty car that runs like ****..............my Convertible, it may see some seat time before it see's paint...........

I hate to say it and I mean this in the utmost respect to everyone here as I for the most part don't see it here, but the problem with the hobby, isn't the the young guys, it's the old guys who look down on the young guys like what their doing isn't the same general idea..................They look down on us like we are ruining the hobby instead of keeping it alive like we are..............

That's my 2 cents worth and not a penny more.

I love my cars and they have many fans (if you will) who enjoy seeing them, they vary in age from children to the elderly ( no offense Stan ;) you know I had to take a shot at you pops).....................The hobby has a pulse, but your generations trying to smother it with a blanket of arrogance and ignorance isn't keeping it alive......................

Your a good guy Nick, and talented. But you have really missed the point here. I don't see any youth bashing in the hobby. In fact most here have encouraged and supported the youth at one time or another. Us old guys have all been where your are now, long ago, been there - done that.
This is a very specific oriented forum for C bodys, not a general car hobby site. There's a lot of "Mopar or no car" attitude here and that's to be expected. Most here are "car guys" who can and do appreciate many different marques, and respect the folks who own them, old or young.
Sometimes the line is drawn with the "It's your car, do as you please", when 22" wheels, slamming, shag seat covers, purple metalflake paint and bulls balls are applied to our beloved favorites.
So lighten up on the ole guys, stop bashing us.
:poke:

My Dad was 20 years old in 1970, He went to chicago on a internship and Remembers seeing Grand Spualding Dodge, In its prime. So i was never raised on Imports.

When i Work on my Duster or Fury, My friends are Generally intresred and like doing it but i dont see a Real Drive there. No Passion. When i am not working on cars i am Always reading and Searching for Knowledge, I go out of my way to hang out with guys Twice my age, Just to pick Their Brains and to Quench my Constant thirst For Wisdom. I dont see any of that In my Peers, Which is Sad.

Will is right. We're not bashing you young uns we would love to see all of you follow in our footsteps and make the "C" body following bigger and better than it is now. Unfortunately who really thinks that will happen? Certainly not me but that has nothing to do with you younger guys, it's just the way it is. I am very glad that there is at least a few of you to make sure our cars don't disappear completely.

will, i first tuned into this thread to read about your wagon. i think that what your doing is great. if i had my way about it that car would be showroom. i hope your able to reach your goals and i thank you for doing what few others would ever consider. SG

So, hows the paint coming?

Well, at the risk of going "off topic", ...... Wait...! This IS the topic.... LOL
Things are looking good. I visited yesterday and shot a couple of pics. At least I know now what the finish will look like. Pretty nice.

The two side rear window top moldings bother me though, Tom, (polarus), is sending a pair, I think. So we'll see how that goes.
These moldings didn't look at all bad until I removed them and got the stainless moldings off.

roof 1 (Large).JPG

rear (Large).JPG

roof side molding locate (Large).JPG

DSC02543 (Large).JPG

DSC02544 (Large).JPG

DSC02545 (Large).JPG

DSC02546 (Large).JPG

Back