The Admiral's getting paint.

What instruction didn't he get right?
Things like, I went through a lot of work to remove all the stainless trim around the side glass so that the pillars and door frames would be painted, I explained to him what I had in mind to get done. He had it masked off so that none of that would have been painted, then pissed and moaned about repapering it. He sandblasted the drip rails and didn't air blow the area well enough. The whole top had sand in the clear and had to be resprayed.
We just never got on the same page.
I have another shop in mind to prep and spray the rest of the car once we return from New Orleans.

Haz anybody 'sidez me decided to teach himself how to squirt paint just 'cuz of issuez like our friend Will iz having. My main issuez with the learnin' process have been ah little orange peal and ah few mosquitoez "back strokin" in the hood while it waz still wet, BUT after it'z dry with ah little 600 grit and water them thingz all go away,lol

Things like, I went through a lot of work to remove all the stainless trim around the side glass so that the pillars and door frames would be painted, I explained to him what I had in mind to get done. He had it masked off so that none of that would have been painted, then pissed and moaned about repapering it. He sandblasted the drip rails and didn't air blow the area well enough. The whole top had sand in the clear and had to be resprayed.
I have another shop in mind to prep and spray the rest of the car once we return from New Orleans.

That sand coming out is a real pain in the ***. After blasting a whole car I spend probably close to 8 hours blowing sand out of all the cracks. Once it's on the rotisserie sand comes pouring out every time you rotate it. You never really get it all out. Glad to hear at least he redid it.

Haz anybody 'sidez me decided to teach himself how to squirt paint just 'cuz of issuez like our friend Will iz having. My main issuez with the learnin' process have been ah little orange peal and ah few mosquitoez "back strokin" in the hood while it waz still wet, BUT after it'z dry with ah little 600 grit and water them thingz all go away,lol
Yea, I've done it. I really hate the prep work though. That was back in the lacquer days where you could do it nicely in your back yard. Once the isocyanates came into the picture and you had to start worrying about the paint killing you, I really was never comfortable around it, so I have only done a couple small things since.

Knowing enough to squirt paint is just the tip of the iceberg. It also requires a dedicated work area and a fair investment in proper equipment. And that's just the paint process. One usually has to deal with a fair amount of rust and/or damage repair, another area of expertise, knowledge and special tools. I'm a mechanic.
And like John said, I hate the prep work. I'm a very patient guy but sanding really tries my patience.
Squirting the paint is the easy part.
I guess if it was easy it wouldn't be so hard to find a reliable body guy.

Yes it does my friend but I'm glad I did it a couple times. I hadn't shaved door handlez and "Nosed and Decked" any thing since the mid '50s with lead either, but it waz fun working with products that weren't even around back then. And I think my little Scamp looks pretty cool with an Elizabeth Dole 3rd brake lite frenched into the tail gate

The NOS lighting and tail gate finish panel went on today, The Admiral is street legal again. I'm going to go after the rear springs this weekend.

DSC02563 (Large).JPG

DSC02564 (Large).JPG

Mardis Gras and what big car show are you guys going to attend?

Mardis Gras and what big car show are you guys going to attend?
The "Big Easy" Mopar club in New Orleans puts on, what we think, is one of the best all Mopar shows of the year.
They have a event planned option day on Friday before the show. I posted a thread about the event last year. This year we will be treated to a tour of "Mardis Gras" world, where all the floats are built and maintained, an afternoon in the French Quarter, and a special evening dinner gathering with secret surprise entertainment. (Can't wait for that). Last year it was a "2nd line" New Orleans funeral parade.
Anybody who attends this show places it on their "must go" list. This and Carlisle are on my list.

The Admiral went under the knife today. This all the rust I could find in the body. Should be all welded up by the end of the week and is scheduled to go to the paint shop next Monday, back by May 1st.

DSC02728.JPG

Back