The bear market for classics

So you lost something in that Cadillac, like your heart :)

I guess it depends on the area of America as well.
The events I attended last year had 'bumper to bumper" attendance
That included the Friday night Show n Shines.
If the weather was good the cars were out.

I attended the Moparfest in New Hamburg for the 1st time. it was packed to the maximum with boring B,D,E bodies plus a few very interesting C-Bodies!! like mine :D
Seriously, I can only handle seeing the same Challenger or charger or Dart/Swinger a few times but at this event there was hundreds of the smae car there.

I made it a personal challenge to find the old Desoto's and cars from the 50's & early 60's. which I could almost count on one hand.
Worth the trip once every few years I would say.

So you lost something in that Cadillac, like your heart :)

More like what it represented. I'm not a feminist. I like the idea of a woman barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. The first Mary Kay cadi. vert. represent the ability of women to increase their income. Being single or not. Most were trying to help their husband. I'm all for that...make babies...make money...get a car that in 35+ years...will be a memory.

Who's into Model T Fords these days ?

Love to. Find one I can afford and we'll talk.

Oh and I think the nature of the old car game is the one that's going to change, well it has already. Younger guys don't want show pieces that go to the local cruise or hang out and sit. They simply can't afford it. If they like myself are to buy something, put time and effort into it, it's going to be driven and driven hard in the real world.

I go to the cruise in's with my old man and personally I find them the most boring thing in the world. Worse than fishing. Old men yammering about this and that and bitching about the cars they never drive unless it's to the cruise night. Screw that, it's worse than a knitting circle. Take the time and money and take the family out for a drive on some back roads somewhere.

Carlisle? How many cars that look exactly alike can you really look at? The only reason I kept going was for the swap meet and the car coral.

So with that, the younger folks who will be buying these things are going to be buying for a goof rather than sentimental reasons or to wave their cocks around, they're not going to put out the cash that the previous generation did unless it's something special, something that no one else has.

Last edited:
If you can't relate to these cars due to age, the interest automatically declines. Who's into Model T Fords these days ?
I think I'm among the youngest interested in the earliest postwar cars at 43. Go figure. :)

No it is not your age. You are simply the most basic of car guys a gearhead. My father is 88 and was never into cars except for getting from A to B. He wouldn't even know how to remove a spark plug much less what to use as a tool. Meanwhile I became obsessed with cars around the age of 12. Our cars always looked spotless at home. Did the basic maintenance by the time I was 15. My brother followed right behind me and he was more of a naturally gifted mechanic.

The key for many gearheads is that we had autos that were easy to work on and didn't require a lot of fancy tools. One little known fact is that is what helped us win WWII. So many farm boys knew how to work on cars and engines that we could repair our equipment in the field while no one else could. Those gearheads came back home and started the hot rod and NASCAR scene.

Only now it is getting nearly impossible to work on a car so how do you get experience. How do you get hooked and become a gearhead? I detest new cars because their making them so I can't work on them. I am taking my wife's Sable engine apart to replace heads and timing chain. I had to psych myself up to do this given today's tight confines and all those damn electrical harnesses. I just tried to put the back side head on by threading it through the engine harness with one hand. I gouged the new head gasket and had to drive to find another one. Now I need to get my wife home to hold the harness out of my way. I need 3 hands at a minimum and this is a 1998.

So that is why we like older cars and have our experience from older cars. How many here have opened the hood of a new car and gone looking for the oil filter and can't see it? Then groan when they tell you where it is hidden. My one added motivation is that I like older tech from phones, to cameras, to kitchen appliances and the like. I also take great satisfaction in being able to restore things to like new. Why else would I restore an 880 foot 1943 Essex Class Aircraft Carrier. That makes old cars a no brainer.

Love to. Find one I can afford and we'll talk.

Oh and I think the nature of the old car game is the one that's going to change, well it has already. Younger guys don't want show pieces that go to the local cruise or hang out and sit. They simply can't afford it. If they like myself are to buy something, put time and effort into it, it's going to be driven and driven hard in the real world.

I go to the cruise in's with my old man and personally I find them the most boring thing in the world. Worse than fishing. Old men yammering about this and that and bitching about the cars they never drive unless it's to the cruise night. Screw that, it's worse than a knitting circle. Take the time and money and take the family out for a drive on some back roads somewhere.

Carlisle? How many cars that look exactly alike can you really look at? The only reason I kept going was for the swap meet and the car coral.

So with that, the younger folks who will be buying these things are going to be buying for a goof rather than sentimental reasons or to wave their cocks around, they're not going to put out the cash that the previous generation did unless it's something special, something that no one else has.

My 23 y/o daughter will be carrying on my tradition...the love for the old cars. My car will have gone from my mom and dad...to me..to her. Maybe when I'm gone..I/we will have one voice. Multiply that by all of us on this site will keep our love alive. This is my wish today!

Last edited:
55 is my favorite bel air but they still don't do much for me. They make pretty cool race cars I guess. I'll take a 57 apache though.

no 55-57 shivvys for me either. Small and boring cars.
I will take some 57-61 forward look cars instead

I'm with Carsten....I'll take a Forward Look over a Chevy any day.

Carlisle? How many cars that look exactly alike can you really look at? The only reason I kept going was for the swap meet and the car coral. QUOTE]

LOL ....... I'm an old guy that likes a good "cruise in" every now and then ..... but I can relate to what your saying. A big percentage of the "car guys" at a cruise in are delusional and clueless about anything beyond their 67 Fairlane.
I agree ...... A drive on the backroads with your best girl, some friends or family is the way to really enjoy your old car.

The lineup of different color "same" cars at shows is what turns me off of the B/E bodys. I pretty much just walk past them these days. The beauty and uniqueness of the Forward look and C bodys is what I look for.

You guys just validated my decision to go to Good Guys. I would love to do both but since they are the same weekend...

You're welcome.

LOL ....... I'm an old guy that likes a good "cruise in" every now and then ..... but I can relate to what your saying. A big percentage of the "car guys" at a cruise in are delusional and clueless about anything beyond their 67 Fairlane.
I agree ...... A drive on the backroads with your best girl, some friends or family is the way to really enjoy your old car.

The lineup of different color "same" cars at shows is what turns me off of the B/E bodys. I pretty much just walk past them these days. The beauty and uniqueness of the Forward look and C bodys is what I look for.

Don't get me wrong the guys are very knowledgeable about the brand of car they're interested in, but it's the same guys, same cars, same conversation week after week.

Last edited:
cruises are different from country to country.
Many regular cruises have the same common cars attending.
Florida and California seem to be deep into chevys and then the usual 55-57 as well as Novas and Chevelles.
Old full size cars seem to be really rare in attendance.

Big difference to europe. full size cars are very popular.

You guys just validated my decision to go to Good Guys. I would love to do both but since they are the same weekend...
If "Good Guys" is the same weekend as the all Chrysler nationals at Carlisle then your making the wrong choice.
Carlisle is the exception to the mopar show rule. While there will be multiple examples of the "same-o same-o" cars ....... there will also be examples of just about any "odd ball" and seldom seen mopars present. It will take you two full days to see just the odd cars, the special exibits and take in the swap meet. Just the selection of NOS parts there will dazzle you.

Back