The Last Imperial

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Looking through some data and saw that the last Imperial produced was a 1975 Black LeBaron four door hardtop with VIN number YM43TC5182947 on June 12, 1975.

20180531_120533.jpg

Hard to believe Chrysler Historical doesn't have a clue on the info for the last 1978 C-body produced.

The 57 cars produced in 1974 with the Crown Coupe option and all were painted Y4 Golden Fawn for the 50th Anniversary edition.

Remember the one that was posted here sometime back, that was painted black? And was for sale.. I believe it was part of the total (57) production count. Right?

Remember the one that was posted here sometime back, that was painted black? And was for sale.. I believe it was part of the total (57) production count. Right?

Yep, and changed the interior too. Took a 1 of 57 50th anniversary car and turned in to a future derby candidate.

Hard to believe Chrysler Historical doesn't have a clue on the info for the last 1978 C-body produced.
I think at that time, Chrysler was in a pretty rough place. The C-bodies were likely seen as a legacy of a low point, and not yet "Historical."

I think at that time, Chrysler was in a pretty rough place. The C-bodies were likely seen as a legacy of a low point, and not yet "Historical."
I've thought about that often. Working there around that time must have sucked the soul out of anyone. Can't imagine anyone caring enough about the company while sending out resumes.

I've thought about that often. Working there around that time must have sucked the soul out of anyone. Can't imagine anyone caring enough about the company while sending out resumes.

Obviously I wasn't there in '78, and for many people, this IS just a j-o-b. But there are some of us who care. Lots of stuff gets stashed away by people who realize the historical significance. I'm sitting a dozen feet away from a crankshaft that a co-worker refuses to toss because it was part of a "secret" DOE project and the material/machine work is so beautiful. I'm glad that I don't process medicare claims or sell insurance (but God bless those who do). I've got emails on my computer from Bob Nardelli just because reading them is interesting a decade later. You know that much of the historic collection exists today because someone built false walls to hide it from an idiot manager-of-the-month, right?

Somebody cared about that last C-body... he's probably just not on the internets.

Looking through some data and saw that the last Imperial produced was a 1975 Black LeBaron four door hardtop with VIN number YM43TC5182947 on June 12, 1975.]

Bob, just confirming....is that YM43T5C182947?

Obviously I wasn't there in '78, and for many people, this IS just a j-o-b. But there are some of us who care. Lots of stuff gets stashed away by people who realize the historical significance. I'm sitting a dozen feet away from a crankshaft that a co-worker refuses to toss because it was part of a "secret" DOE project and the material/machine work is so beautiful. I'm glad that I don't process medicare claims or sell insurance (but God bless those who do). I've got emails on my computer from Bob Nardelli just because reading them is interesting a decade later. You know that much of the historic collection exists today because someone built false walls to hide it from an idiot manager-of-the-month, right?

Somebody cared about that last C-body... he's probably just not on the internets.

I look forward to seeing the Chrysler Machining Plant in Toledo, Ohio as I pass by on the Ohio Turnpike heading to Wisconsin and when returning to Maryland and knowing someone is in that building making something "MOPAR"!

:usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Had a 75 Imperial for a company car when I was 24. Living in northern Mi. when gas prices went over $1.00 a gallon. Yikes! I know! The boss bought a diesel Mercedes so he could fuel up at the shop. Grudgingly he passed the Imp down to me knowing I’d appreciate the car. Drove it all around the 616 for a year. Our sales guy still drove an Olds Gutless wagon.

I’d be interested in learning how that was documented. I wonder if it was a trade journal or something like that.

You could call, email or write to Collectible Automobile. They published the data.

The online imperial club 1975 page has a link to an article in the wpc club magazine vol 10 # 11 by Sandy Block where he states that the last imperial was sold to a Chrysler Corporation employee who shall remain anonymous and is in good hands. Its window sticker price was $10,403.35. Hopefully its still in good condition.

That was 36 years ago, so we can only hope the car still exists.

Last edited:
Back