This shouldn’t be Happening!

I agree, it should not be happening.

After reading the article, it looks to me like Hunyadi used a temp agency for some of its workers. Not real unusual for them to do that, lots of factories do the same. They depend on the temp agency to vet the employees and take care of hiring and firing. Some will move into permanent employment, but a lot won't.

It looks to me like the temp agency Hunyadi used either didn't vet the hires or the kids faked their way into getting hired. Reading from the article, the kids were also immigrants so who knows what sort of proof of age (if any) was given to the agency.

I worked as a temp before getting hired at General Electric over 30 years ago. The people I encountered at the temp agency weren't exactly rocket surgeons. They also lie like rugs (in my experience anyway) and just getting paid was like pulling teeth sometimes. I loved the job, but hated the agency.

Putting a 13 year old in the stamping mill part of the factory is just wrong, no matter what.

They had teenagers working at a nearby meat packing plant, through a temp agency. My friend is a supervisor there, I didn't bother asking him about it, as it wasn't his doing.

I agree, it should not be happening.

After reading the article, it looks to me like Hunyadi used a temp agency for some of its workers. Not real unusual for them to do that, lots of factories do the same. They depend on the temp agency to vet the employees and take care of hiring and firing. Some will move into permanent employment, but a lot won't.

It looks to me like the temp agency Hunyadi used either didn't vet the hires or the kids faked their way into getting hired. Reading from the article, the kids were also immigrants so who knows what sort of proof of age (if any) was given to the agency.

I worked as a temp before getting hired at General Electric over 30 years ago. The people I encountered at the temp agency weren't exactly rocket surgeons. They also lie like rugs (in my experience anyway) and just getting paid was like pulling teeth sometimes. I loved the job, but hated the agency.

Putting a 13 year old in the stamping mill part of the factory is just wrong, no matter what.
Yeah, I don't care if it's the temp agency's fault or not, Hyundai should've had better oversight.

They had teenagers working at a nearby meat packing plant, through a temp agency. My friend is a supervisor there, I didn't bother asking him about it, as it wasn't his doing.
Reminds me of the Kosher meatpacking executive Sholom Rubashkin case, think that was in Iowa.
Same deal but on a very larger scale than just a 'few', had it all via the Doco I saw long ago about the initial bust. Illegals, fake ID's/paperwork done in a local bar, sexual abuse of female minors... yada yada yaa... It's the American way ya'kno.

Heck one of my customers was born too young to be in WWII but in the after bravado of the war he joined the National Guard when he was 16, easy to do back in the 50's to change your birth certificate and no easy way to verify it ya'kno. He told me when he enlisted into the Army at 18 the recruiter dropped his jaw when he saw he had 2 years in the National Guard, had to give him rank right off into boot camp (+ pay scale) And he was full in when the Korean War broke out but was stationed up in Alaska driving a truck for the building of the new missle bases.

My father went into WWII with rank of Lieutenant (with a Majors pay he said) because of all the years in the National Guard, plus he went to Business School and he knew how to type, but he was already of age, turned 18 right before the Depression.

John, you trying to shut down the manufacturing industry in India?

I watch those videos once in a while.

I could just imagine an OSHA rep's head exploding, especially with those punch presses.

I got a great punch press operator joke, but it's visual, so it's going to lose a little humor. Imagine a punch press operator walking into a bar and holding up one finger.

Got that image?

He's ordering 4 beers.

Much better joke in person.

Back