Three way seat concern

Bruce Larson

Reaction score
Greetings, all:
Driver's seat on 1967 NYer stuck: Moves forward and back and rotates forward and back (to full extent?), but
will not raise or lower. Only a slight movement up or down; seems like the rear jacks are stuck. Switch is working.
Any ideas?

Start applying a good quality penetrating oil. I prefer Kroil but PB Blaster is more common and is decent.

Start applying a good quality penetrating oil. I prefer Kroil but PB Blaster is more common and is decent.
Take a bow! Your penetrating oil suggestion freed the mechanism overnight. Working like new now.
Nevertheless, I would like to remove the plastic shrouding encircling each riser unit, to give the mechanisms a good cleaning. How does one remove and then replace the small plastic "rivets" holding these buggers on?

Be careful removing those whatever you do those are reusable if you don’t pry the head off. Get a small & thin pry bar and gently work them straight out. These seats are heavy with the power bases attached I know but if you use that same penetrant on the hardware under the car that holds bases to the floor pan and remove them entirely. This is a job done much easier out of the car on a bench.
Vigorously wire brush the studs under the car before hitting them with the penetrant and then walk away for a half an hour before turning a wrench on the nuts. If when loosening them they feel like they’re tightening up again , stop and go righty-tighty again a couple of turns and wire brush again, more penetrant and back to lefty-loosy. You do not want to snap these off.

If you have the time and patience tear it down and get all that old grease out of there. I discovered one of the retaining posts had broken. It is a job in fact I have a power base from @detmatt which I still haven't restored for the passenger seat.

Here is a link from my work so you can see what you would be getting yourself into. It works quickly and as smooth as butter now.

Power seat and 4 channel amp

Back