Tom Hoover

fc7_plumcrazy

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hi,

read this already on several Mopar boards but not here yet. Tom Hoover is ill.
I hope he will recover soon, I am going to drop him a postcard.
In case you are not familiar with Tom Hoover, here are a couple of articles about this great engineer:

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/12/01/hmn_feature11.html

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/03/nhra-tom-hoover-challenge

Here is the post from another message board

Carsten

Hey Guys

This is not spam or a chain letter. If you have received this by being on someone else's mailing list please disregard. If this is the first time you have received this please respond to the request below. I know I will. Even if you don't know Mr. Hoover personally, if you appreciate his contribution to our Mopar history you should feel obligated as I do to respond.

Many Thanks ... Greg Lane

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tom Hoover, AKA “FATHER OF THE HEMI”
A message from Herb McCandless Sr
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Mr Hoover, who Is 83 years old mentally sharp as ever however has a serious blood disorder and has been in and out of the hospital many times in the past few months.
I will say this man is probably one of the most intelligent men I’ve ever met when it comes to automotive engineering he was the head of the HEMI race program from the beginning, and the developer of the 426 Hemi, Ramcharger and Motown Missile engine builder. When Chrysler went to remake the 5.7 hemi in the 2000’s they sent Chrysler engineers to his house for a week to discuss design issues and changes he wish he had made. Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth racers its safe you guys wouldn’t not have the equipment you had today if it hadn’t of been for this guy...,
I’m asking the racing community show your support and appreciation of his years as an engineer in the race program, he was totally a behind the scenes guy that got very little credit at the time for his work. Where we would be today without the 426 HEMI. If you could take 5 minutes out of your day to Mail Mr Hoover a Get Well card, note of thanks or a short letter it will boost an 83 year old mans spirits. We did this 2 years ago with Bob Cahill another race program director and he lifted his spirits beyond belief.
Thanks for your support, I’ve always said Racers are the best people in the world.
No phone calls please,
Tom Hoover
6022 Tolman Circle
Roanoke, Va 24012
[/FONT]

Nice gesture.

Tom Hoover is one of my all time heros......... I used to watch him work on the Super stock cars at Detroit dragway in the 60's...... Then go out and blow the doors off whoever was unlucky enough to line up with him.

I'll send a card and wish him well.....

To die after doing all that as a lonely man is horrible. I hope the call out, works.

I can't imagine any old company sending a team of their best engineers to pick the brain of a old worker bee. Kudos to them.

< Sent from my tablet >

Last edited:
Back