Took off front wheel well trim -- what do you think?

cld

Reaction score
As many of you know, my '68 fast top originally came with chrome-trimmed skirts to match chrome-trimmed front wheel wells. I've never used the skirts as I just don't like the skirt look on any car after the early 60s. So I've been driving the car with front trim only but the mismatch drives me nuts, especially on a black car where the chrome really jumps out. Haven't been able to find skirtless trim to sync the front and rear up. So finally just took off the front trim pieces. There's some rust and other damage from almost 50 years of crap built up under the trim, but I think I would rather expose that than have chrome in the front and nothing around the rear wheelwell. I'm open to others' opinions though. What do you think? Thanks.

20150322_201638.jpg
20150322_162351.jpg

20150322_201638.jpg

20150322_162351.jpg

I vote for trim but if you don't have front and back then no trim......

I vote for trim...

Thanks for your input! I forgot to post a view of the pre-removal look. There are a bunch in older posts if anyone cares to search but here it is again. Mr. fix it, you still like the front trim even with no corresponding rear trim?

20150314_180502.jpg

20150314_180502.jpg

if you can find the rear trim it would clean the edges up and brake up the all black look..

if you can find the rear trim it would clean the edges up and brake up the all black look..

Absolutely! But how to find the rear trim? Murray Park had some beat-up non-skirt trim but it was still very expensive, and I think Jason (68plymouth383) showed that non-skirt trim would not fit the skirt opening right anyway.

Thanks for discussing.

No trim, otherwise trim and wheelcovers. Even if you have the rear I think it would look better without the trim with no covers.

Alan

At the end of the discussion of skirt wheel wells, vs non skirts we found the non fender skirt trim does fit.

Absolutely! But how to find the rear trim? Murray Park had some beat-up non-skirt trim but it was still very expensive, and I think Jason (68plymouth383) showed that non-skirt trim would not fit the skirt opening right anyway.

Thanks for discussing.

At the end of the discussion of skirt wheel wells, vs non skirts we found the non fender skirt trim does fit.

I think I got confused by an edit in one of the posts... I initially interpreted the discussion arriving at a "yes" on fit, but then when going back through I saw an edit that went from "yes" to "no"... I had had several very strong IPAs by that point so the logic is fuzzy. Thanks for the clarification!

I prefer all trim or no trim. All trim and no hubcaps reminds me of the day when you bought a new car and were too broke to buy wheels or get them on the car because you popped for the big block and a 4 speed so to make it look tough you popped the wheel covers off or ran the poverty caps.

I think it looks good without the trim but in this case with "rust and damage" in the wheel well i would prefer the trim to hide the nasty stuff.

I prefer all trim or no trim. All trim and no hubcaps reminds me of the day when you bought a new car and were too broke to buy wheels or get them on the car because you popped for the big block and a 4 speed so to make it look tough you popped the wheel covers off or ran the poverty caps.

Thanks. I recognize that the plain steelies look is at odds with the original feel of the Fury III, which was more of a premium cruiser (tilt/tele wheel, AC, etc). But I've just always loved that look from the first time I saw it on a '69 1/2 A12 RR. And as a younger guy who grew up during times of ridiculously overdone wheels on classic cars, the simplicity really appeals to me, and to many of the other younger people who see it and comment on it.

And also, I was too broke to get fancier wheels. :)

I like it with out the trim. I run the skirts on my 300 because the 1/4s are in such rough shape. If I really had the car redone I would have it shaped to run with out skirts and remove the front trim like you did.

Looks clean without the trim. I would leave it off. I would loose the door guard also. Nice car BTW.

Back