Trans Fluid drain plug leaking

gary68plyfury

Reaction score
I changed the trans fluid, in my 68 Fury with a 727, last year but it's leaking a bit. Not much at all but it's not fun putting cardboard or bucket or something under the car every time.

I'd like to take out the drain plug and seal it better BUT I'd rather drain all the fluid.

Anyone have a good way to seal it while it's in OR minimize drainage?

Maybe I'll unscrew it a few turns, push up on the drain plug at same time, quickly wrap some tape around threads and just tighten the plug.

UPDATE...I'm not smart. I just remembered I installed a drain plug to the trans pan. ....GREAT!!! I caused my own problem.

Last edited:
this is why I asked. i knew people would come up better ideas then the ONE floating around my three brain cells....3 leftover from my 20s

Thanks
With time, they can talk to each other! Something some other people (in the general population) don't know is possible, by observation.

Many people like trans pans with drain plugs in them. Especially if they might drag race and need to change the fluid a bit often. Now, with the advent of portable electric extraction pumps, the fluid can be extracted via the trans dipstick tube cleanly and easily, provided there is a bucket or similar to put it in for recycling.

IF you extract the fluid and put it in a clean/new oil change oil holding "pan", you can re-use the fluid after you extract, remove the drain plug and put a new gasket/seal on it, then clean any oil from the pan, put the plug back in securely, then re-fill the trans with the fluid you previously had in it. Be prepared for about 8 quarts or so. Will need a wide-top funnel to pour the fluid in with.

When I bought my extraction pump several years ago, it was about $30.00 on Amazon. Later, I discovered I could have gotten one at Home Depot for about $35.00. Just need to hook it to a 12V source to run it. Came with the lines, suction and discharge, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I too added a drain plug in my trans oil pan. Before I installed the pan, I smeared some black Hi temp gasket sealer on the threads so they won't let the oil seep past the threads. The next time I gotta drain the pan for what ever reason, I will have to seal the threads again before I install the pan. I didn't want to have the problem you are dealing with now.

100_1717.JPG

100_1718.JPG

Before you,do anything clean the pan rail and make sure it's the drain plug that's leaking.

Don't make this any harder than it has to be. They have had drain plugs in every engine oil pan for how many years now? It's a reliable system, don't overtighten the plug and smash aor crack the gasket/washer.

Drain ATF into a clean pan. Then put it back in when done.
Replace the washer on drain plug
Don't use an o-ring on a drain plug, WHEN it fails the leak will be worse than ever.
Don't put sealer on the threads it will end up inside the trans after using the plug the frost time and foul up the workings inside.

Last edited:
Before you,do anything clean the pan rail and make sure it's the drain plug that's leaking.

Don't make this any harder than it has to be. They have had drain plugs in every oil pan for how many years now? It's a reliable system, don't overtight. The plug amd smash aor crack the gasket/washer.

Drain ATF into a clean pan. Then put it back in when done.
Replace the washer on drain plug
Don't use an o-ring on a drain plug, WHEN it fails the leak will be worse than ever.
Don't put sealer on the threads it will end up inside the trans after using the plug the frost time and foul up the workings inside.
He already said it was his drain plug that was leaking. Not the pan gasket. IMO, the leak is around the threads of the drain plug that he fabricated in his pan. I have to disagree with most of your post since none of these older 727 pans had a drain from the factory. The deep pans.....Yes. Also, I don't buy the idea that sealer around the threads like I put on my drain plug are gonna end up in the transmission. They are not going to move until I pull the drain plug. Then, any sealer loosened up by removing the drain plug will come out with the oil. I do however agree with your comment about an O ring.

It's ok to disagree. But the next time your trans is fouled up don't be surprised.

I changed my post to "engine oil pan". And the trans pan drain plugs are the same. Except,your home made one.

Back