Unusual set of options?

shrewboy

Reaction score
I saw this one for sale on craigslist (http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4655457152.html) and thought it was an unusual set of options based on the other cars I've seen come through the list. The ad itself doesn't show a lot. The additional pictures at the link (http://www.duricy.com/~highlandpark/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2274) have much more detail. I was really getting interested until I saw the rust in the trunk. Thought that was curious until I saw the pictures of the roof and back window. Uh oh!! But I'm curious to hear what the collective has to say about this one. I haven't been looking at c-bodies long, but AM/FM, leather, dual power seats, reclining passenger seat with headrest, etc seems like a pretty heavily optioned car. And from the picture below - is that ductwork a rear window defogger? Oh, and is that an Imperial I see tucked in behind the New Yorker?

From the ad: 1967 Chrysler New Yorker -- Two-door hardtop. Twilight Turquoise with black vinyl top and black leather bucket seat interior. Original, optional 15-inch wheels. Original, optional, heavy-duty, power drum brakes. AM/FM radio. Air-conditioning. Clock (works), Power driver seat. Passenger side recliner with headrest. Outside passenger side rear view mirror. Original 440-cid V8 with Carter AVS. TorqueFlite. Runs, drives and stops. 131,601 miles. Ideal driving-restoration candidate for the knowledgeable Chrysler enthusiast. Second owner. Near Cincinnati, OH. Asking $4,000 OBO.

67 New Yorker Trunk.JPG

67 New Yorker Trunk.JPG

That ductwork is for the flow through ventilation.
There's a switch on the dash that opens and closes the vent doors.
The hose is a drain for rainwater that gets into the ductwork from the slots behind the rear window.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
From the picture,that looks like the rare suicide by carbon monoxcide option....:BangHead: just kidding .I have no idea.....Now I know ..Thanks Stan:poke:

That ductwork is for the flow through ventilation.
There's a switch on the dash that opens and closes the vent doors.
The hose is a drain for rainwater that gets into the ductwork from the slots behind the rear window.

Posted via Topify on Android

Really? That looks like genuine Engineering by Rube Goldberg. Should there be a drain from that rear vent outlet? Yeah, probably. Should it be hooked up with a hose that has a loop in it to keep some water trapped so that it can go mouldy? dunnoaboutthat.

This car does have SOME nice options, but it's missing a whole lot more. Those wheelcovers were the only ones available with 15" wheels, and 15" wheels were mandatory with disc brakes, so why this car would have HD drum brakes is a head scratcher. Next on the list, no tilt column, no cruise, no power windows, no power door locks. Yes the AM/FM is probably the "rarest" option on the car, and yes it needs EVERYTHING. The rust in the trunk looks like heavy surface rust more so than through and through corrosion. Just hold off on the screwdriver test since you ARE right above the gas tank. The decay of the vinyl roof could be more troubling, or it could just be the vinyl itself. Until somebody owns it and tears the vinyl off, we have no way of knowing.

The leather can be brought back and doesn't need replacing.

Next on the list, no tilt column, no cruise, no power windows, no power door locks.

I could live without tilt, cruise, and power door locks, but my first thought when I saw this was that a donor car would have to give up its power window stuff to upgrade this car. Anyone ever tried swapping in power windows? I'm sure it's a real joy (sarcasm), but figure somebody has given it a try.

And thanks for the input on the ductwork. I actually did have the passing thought that the ductwork looked like a carbon monoxide ducting system but decided to leave that alone :eek:s_dancing2:

The flex hose is not the drain, it's the small straight tube next to it. It's unusual to see the one headrest option. Very kool car!

The flex hose is not the drain, it's the small straight tube next to it. It's unusual to see the one headrest option. Very kool car!

My 67 300 had leather bucket interior and pass headrest. The pass seat had the reclining option too so I think that's why the headrest

Nice looking car

01717_3gUVRqZrdXH_600x450.jpg

01717_3gUVRqZrdXH_600x450.jpg

Yes, that's a 67 or 68 Imperial in the background. Hard to determine anything else based on that pic.

P6282280.JPG

I wouldn't sweat about the rust in the trunk. That looks like typical surface rust from the mat.

A wire brush, some POR-15 and a piece of cheap carpet and it would be fine.

I wouldn't sweat about the rust in the trunk. That looks like typical surface rust from the mat.

A wire brush, some POR-15 and a piece of cheap carpet and it would be fine.

What worried me more than the surface rust on the bottom of the trunk was where you can see the water has run down the insides of the wheel wells at the back of the trunk, under the hinges. I'm wondering if there is a lot of rot under the rear window, under the vinyl, that is allowing water to leak into the trunk. There's also a hole through the front driver's fender, right behind the wheel. I like the car, but would probably be some surgery ahead to clear up the rust!

My repair manual talks about a rear heater and how there is a coolant hose that runs to the rear of the vehicle. Is that what the flex hose is?

So, if the flex hose isn't the drain, then it must be the CO inlet.....
Sorry, the flex hose is one of the two drain hoses, there should be one on the other side as well. I just refered to the FSM. :eek:ops:

Back