Upper ball joints

TNT440

Reaction score
I'm struggling with the installation of new upper ball joints on my 66 Chrysler 300. I had a hard time getting them threaded in and when I finally did they got real loose in the hole just before they bottomed out. Real loose, you could wiggle it in the hole. When you keep turning it , it tightens up. The old ball joints still thread in like they should. The new ball joints are Moog K772.

The both got loose? Were you using an impact / air tool or elbow grease? I've done mine a couple months ago, tight all the way in, no power tool. And you took them out? How do the threads look?

The both got loose? Were you using an impact / air tool or elbow grease? I've done mine a couple months ago, tight all the way in, no power tool. And you took them out? How do the threads look?
The threads look okay. I did take them out. They go in pretty hard then all of a sudden they get real loose and sloppy, then they tighten up when they bottom out. The old ones still go in tight all the way.

I believe that I had a similar problem a few years back with MOOG uppers. I would try to find some NOS uppers from any reputable brand and see how they fit.

Craig @mobileparts probably has them in stock.

I guess that there's a slight possibility that the ones that were installed on your car were oversize, but I don't really know if they ever offered an oversize ball joint to correct for a hogged out control arm. My money would be on incorrectly made new ball joints.

Jeff

I believe that I had a similar problem a few years back with MOOG uppers. I would try to find some NOS uppers from any reputable brand and see how they fit.

Craig @mobileparts probably has them in stock.

I guess that there's a slight possibility that the ones that were installed on your car were oversize, but I don't really know if they ever offered an oversize ball joint to correct for a hogged out control arm. My money would be on incorrectly made new ball joints.
I bought the upper ball joints from Craig. They do tighten up just before they bottom out, but before that they actually wiggle in the hole. I think I am going to tack them with the tig welder in a few spots.

I bought the upper ball joints from Craig. They do tighten up just before they bottom out, but before that they actually wiggle in the hole. I think I am going to tack them with the tig welder in a few spots.

If another test lower ball joint produced the same results, then I to would weld that thing in there and call it good.
But it sure would be nice to know that the defective part is. Either the control arm or the ball joint.

If another test lower ball joint produced the same results, then I to would weld that thing in there and call it good.
But it sure would be nice to know that the defective part is. Either the control arm or the ball joint.
I think it is the control arms. Upper ball joints were probably replaced previously and I believe the threads in the control arms maybe only good for one replacement. They are both the same.

I think it is the control arms. Upper ball joints were probably replaced previously and I believe the threads in the control arms maybe only good for one replacement. They are both the same.

But the old ones fit.
New one should fit.
I would want to try another brand new one.

But the old ones fit.
New one should fit.
I would want to try another brand new one.
The old ones fit but not as tight as they should be. They were tight coming out but I thing the threads are worn out. I have 2 new ball joints and they both fit the same way in both control arms. The new ones tighten up at the end so I am going to tighten them up then put some tacks on them.

A couple years ago I bought a single Quicksteer K722 Ball joint (about $8) and then 6 months ago I bought a pair of MCQUAY-NORRIS FB290 ($3.50 each). All this from Rockauto. About 3 months ago I installed probably the MCQUAY-NORRIS joints into my newly powder-coated upper control arms.

Everything is new (except for pitman arm) for the front suspension now. The lower ball joints and strut bushings I got from Craig, everything else from rock.

The upper ball joints were tight all the way in (the control arms were powdercoated but not the threads, but the threads were blasted).

I put the ball joint socket with ratchet in a vice and I rotated the arm on the socket. Put a bar through the holes for the bushings for leverage.

A couple years ago I bought a single Quicksteer K722 Ball joint (about $8) and then 6 months ago I bought a pair of MCQUAY-NORRIS FB290 ($3.50 each). All this from Rockauto. About 3 months ago I installed probably the MCQUAY-NORRIS joints into my newly powder-coated upper control arms.

Everything is new (except for pitman arm) for the front suspension now. The lower ball joints and strut bushings I got from Craig, everything else from rock.

The upper ball joints were tight all the way in (the control arms were powdercoated but not the threads, but the threads were blasted).

I put the ball joint socket with ratchet in a vice and I rotated the arm on the socket. Put a bar through the holes for the bushings for leverage.
Yeah, I'm sure mine are worn

The upper control arms that I'm using came with the stub frame that I've swapped into my '67 Monaco. My original upper control arms are now "surplus". They would probably clean up ok. One has a "new" ball joint installed in '87, the other has the original '67 ball joint. They're available if you'd like to mess around with a spare set, maybe they'd fit new joints better. I'm offering because you're in Ontario, so shipping wouldn't be a hassle.

The upper control arms that I'm using came with the stub frame that I've swapped into my '67 Monaco. My original upper control arms are now "surplus". They would probably clean up ok. One has a "new" ball joint installed in '87, the other has the original '67 ball joint. They're available if you'd like to mess around with a spare set, maybe they'd fit new joints better. I'm offering because you're in Ontario, so shipping wouldn't be a hassle.
Would you like to PM me with a price and what area of Ontario you live in?

The old ones fit but not as tight as they should be. They were tight coming out but I thing the threads are worn out. I have 2 new ball joints and they both fit the same way in both control arms. The new ones tighten up at the end so I am going to tighten them up then put some tacks on them.

Welding them in might not be so bad. They may never need to be serviced again, depending on how many miles the car gets.
Now the car will get something it probably never got early in its life, a routine lube job.

Back