V-belt for power steering

mathiew

Reaction score
my part store give me a v-belt with tooth! Before it have no thooth, is it okay?

30BB848A-E898-4DAF-A47F-C2DFE02FF6D7.jpeg

That'll be fine as long as length/width are correct. Most all make them that way now, not sure why.

Just a quick search found this at Gates belts

Moulded notches reduce and evenly distribute thermal and bending stresses.
The moulded notch pattern also reduces noise.

Allows use of back idlers.

Me? I prefer a 'wrapped' belt.

The "tooth" belt will go around smaller pulleys, which isn't an issue here. More "biting" surface for possibly less squeal? It'll work.

I think the orig spec belt was a .440" wide belt, which will sit higher in the pulley groove. A .380" wide belt will sit lower in the pulley groove and needs to be about 1" shorter than the .440" wide belt's length.

CBODY67

Last edited:
my part store give me a v-belt with tooth! Before it have no thooth, is it okay?

View attachment 181559
As the toothed belt wraps on the pulley, the teeth close and grip better than any smooth side belt. If you bought a Gator Back or high quality Goodyear the belt would get notches on the outside of the belt to cool the inner fibers which make the belt last longer as there is little internal friction heat. You should be highly concerned with the angle of the contact surfaces as many suppliers tend to sell an "A" belt for everything up to "B". You really need to know the pulley v-angles to get the proper belt.

(From a dentist) On humans it is preferable to have teeth. On drive belts for old cars it really does not matter.

But seriously, someone told me that the toothed belts are supposed to dissapate heat better.

Back