Vintage NASCAR

image.jpg
Buck Baker in the Chrysler 300B

image.jpg
In 1972 they sold this poster at the Nascar track. I bought mine at Rockingham. The #12 is the Junior Johnson Monte Carlo driven by Bobby Allison. The 71 is the Norm Krauskapf Dodge Charger driven by Bobby Issacs, the 21 is the Wood Brothers Mercury Cyclone driven by David Pearson & the 43 is the Petty Enterprises Plymouth Road Runner driven by Richard Petty

Last edited:
image.jpg
Richard washing the dirt off the Satellite after a day of dirt track racing. Looks like he did a little bumping & grinding too. I wonder what Ford was on the other end of that......

image.jpg
A teaser for you guys. What year is this pic of Richard Petty's Plymouth. And how can you tell. One hugh clue gives it away.

image.jpeg
This is from 1963 & I believe this is Daytona. The 58 is a Pontiac, 69 is a Mercury, 03 is a Chevie, 43 is a Plymouth. At this particular time in NASCAR the Poncho's & Fords where the cat daddy. The chevies & MOPARS did better on small tracks. Richard said of his 62 Plymouth 413 that if he tried to keep up with the 421 Poncho's the Plymouth would blow up. A few years later when the Hemi came out the Pontiac's blew up trying to keep up with him

image.jpeg
Another teaser for you. Look on the quarter panel just below the Plymouth. It's says I'm Curious Blue. Anyone know what that means. I sure don't. This was a test/R&D car. Chrysler engineers had some design influence in this car & some neat stuff they wanted to test

Did it have anything to do with him signing a deal with Chrysler for the use of Petty Blue? I have heard he collected royalties from Chrysler for the right to use that blue. Interesting considering how that blue came about and that it changed a few times over the years.

Could be, but I'm thinking since it was a R&D car & Chrysler was paying for he didn't have to have STP red on it.

image.jpg
Dale Inman, Richard's cousin & crew chief up Untill the early 80's. Takes a seat in the Kings office

image.jpeg
1967 Motor Trend 500. David Pearson wheeling Cotton Owens Dodge. Look at how he is leaning in the seat

Back