Voltage regulator

monaco

Reaction score
Do I need a voltage regulator with this electronic ignition setup?
MN1114.jpeg.jpg

No need to change your existing voltage regulator when installing this electronic ignition.

Alan

Can you tell us more info please, your post is very generic. Is there something wrong with yours, are you converting to electronic ignition, what kind of car is it? Etc. Regarding the regulators my friend Bill or @FURYGT on the forum here is your go to guy

If your car currently has an electro-mechanical VR, it's recommended to swap-in a solid-state electronic VR when installing electronic ignition.

I'm still trying to find where the ignition system cares about the charging system?

I have run the Mopar electronic ignition upgrade on multiple vehicles and retained the OEM mechanical regulator with no issues.

Alan
When the ignition conversions first came out, the procedure was to change to the "constant output" blue VR that Mopar Performance (or was it Direct Connection then?) sold. I never heard the reasoning from Chrysler, but everything I heard were one or all of the following reasons. The mechanical VR allowed too much variation in voltage. the mechanical VR tended to not allow a high enough voltage. The mechanical VR "pulse" from the points opening and closing, didn't play well with the electronics. Take your pick of what it could have been.... As I said, Chrysler was saying to change the VR, but that was 48 years ago.

Since then, tons of guys have made the conversions, keeping the mechanical VR and apparently having no ill effects.

The electronics have changed (using only 4 of those pins now) and the dual ballast resistor has gone away, so that may be the solution... Or it may be that Chrysler was playing it safe and not wanting to have their aftermarket electronic kits fail. After all, it was a big selling point in 1973-74 and I'm sure they wanted the racers saying how good the parts were.

So, I think most of it is left over from the original instructions... It's not a bad idea though. IMHO, the electronic VR should be a better piece, but some will always disagree. Let's put it this way, you can't go wrong by changing to an electronic VR as far as the ignition conversion goes.

BUT! The best part of this whole freaking thread is not one single guy asked the musical question "What year is your car?".

'69 and earlier MOPARS used a mechanical voltage regulator that if you pulled the cover off you would see something that look like ignition points. I am not an electrical engineer and the charging and ignition systems are two different things but for some reason the electronic ignition often causes the mechanical voltage regulators to fail necessitating installing a solid state (electronic) voltage regulator.

Let's have a little visit to Uncle Tony's happy world, "That problem doesn't exist in my world".

And don't forget to pet your dog!

Back