Voyager 1 and 2 still alive!!!! 38,000 mph!

That is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around, the idea that time goes by quicker with less gravity relative to earth. I guess that means if you live in a space station orbiting Jupiter everyone back on earth will age faster than you. Strange.
Its "true" man. Sprecial relatively. Einstein, 120 years ago.

We drowned outselves here in this threaad seven years ago: Voyager 1 and 2 still alive!!!! 38,000 mph!

In a stronger gravitational field, a clock NOT from that place WILL run SLOWER if further away from the center of that field..

LIkewise, here on Earth, time on GPS satellities runs faster that my cell phone clock does on the the ground. If the engineers didnt ccompensate for that (its a calculation per Einstein's formulas), GPS systems would not work.

The satellite is further away from the massive earth than the cell phone.

Its not a theory either. They sychonized clocks on earth, put ONE in oribit, and broought it back, and compared elapsed time.

BTW, the FASTER one accelerates away from the (you need relativistic speed to see the greatest effect, and you need to come back where you left) , vs. someone here on earth, the one accelerating ages MORE slowly that the one who stayed on earth.

One twin comes back year later, and a year older, and his "brother" has aged DECADES.

The Twins Paradox. source: What is the twin paradox theory?
1714685228297.png

I "get it" only because the I can do math equations. Even then, i STILL don't get it

WHY this is? What is the mechanism, NOT the firggin' formula for it..

How does my body know I am accelerating vs. my ttwin, and therefore my cells age more slowlly. How da heck do my cells know what time it is? How does my cell phone "know" its on the ground, vs. the satellite.

Its been explained to me a dozen times. S*** gives me a headache :poke:

interesting.. maybe even scary?

i assume that things appear on earth all the time that have never been here before. it happens ON the earth, been happening here for billions of years.

the fact that it happens IN SPACE seems logical ..BUT, does that mean there is a new risk to humans BECAUSE of that fact?

In other words, for example, does mutating in ZERO-G create a "killer" bacteria that can only be combated/studied "up there" .... where we have nothing "up there" to do the epidemiology.

bring it down here, and its COVID X 10 or something, or worse. i doubt that, but hey ...?

i couldnt find anything in writing that dived into that kinda stuff... perhaps I'll wait for a sci-fi writer to take it up . :poke:

I did a "book report" in like 4th grade (like 200 years ago) on astronomy, specifically constellations, telescopes, and such. Galaxies and nebulae were in there too.

Anyway, any space kid "nerd' like me knows about the Horsehead nebula. You need a telescope to see it, and humans have known about it for centuries. It's got cool name, and UN-like the constellations, it does resemble its namesake. A horse.

1715777925975.png

1,300 LY away (1,300 times 6,000,000,000,000 miles), it is a "dark" nebula -- cooler (temperature) gas clouds between us and hotter star forming clouds). The "horsehead" is a silhouette against a brighter/hotter background.

Jimbo showed us all something, this year, that centuries of looking at the Horsehead Nebula has not. It did it in infrared light .. nothing new .. but Jimbo's eyesight is best we ever put up there.

Just take a look at the pics and explanations at the link. You see, in infrared, increasingly ability of Webb to see THOUGH the dust. Whats IN the dust, and what's past the dust. Stars (spikey-looking images) and more galaxies (elongated "smudges") that you can count.

The video zooms in from LY away to extreme closeup in like 90 seconds.

source: JWST uncovers new secrets within the Horsehead Nebula. Takes about 15 minutes to read if you have time.

1715778018605.png
1715778066371.png
1715778134885.png
1715778331852.png
1715778369085.png
1715778674653.png

Back